barcode reader and userform

depcdivr

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Has anybody integrated a barcode reader into a userform? I want to create a checkout type program using a barcode reader. I have the program already in place but was curious as to how to go about using the barcode scanner.

Looking for some advice.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Hi,

Are you looking for something to create bar codes, or are you looking to have someone scan a barcode into a field within a userform?

If the later is true, most scanners are simply keyboard emulators, and will input the value of the barcode into the field upon a successful scan. For example, if the UPC of the barcode is 12345, and you scanned the barcode, it would input 12345 in the same way it would if you were to type it directly in with a keyboard.

Upvote 0
I was looking for the latter. I want to be able to scan a barcode and have it enter information into a userform.

Do you know if there is a way that can activate some VBA code when the barcode is scanned.

I know that you can do it with a button or with key stroke. Is there a way to do it with the barcode reader.

Upvote 0
barcode scanner scans directly to a string, so as long as the focus on the form is something text compatible, like a txtbox, then no special code is needed. i have used barcode recognition in form often.

Upvote 0
diddi,

I'm only 4 and a half years late replying, but I came across this thread while researching for my current barcode project.
I'm curious where exactly the barcode scanner will drop its code that it scans. I know it acts as if the user would enter in the code manually, but lets say I have another window open and I scan a barcode. I'm on google or where ever, and I also have my workbook minimized. If I were to scan the barcode while still on google, the code would be inserted into the google search box (or that is my assumption). How can I have it to where whenever a barcode is scanned, no matter what window I am currently using, it is only inserted into my excel userform?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back