Basic question on using and finding defined Name ranges

vin43075

Hello and good morning,
A colleague of mine asked me to help her out with this one - she is working on a spreadsheet that is on a networked drive. One of the vlookup formulas refers to a range that is nowhere to be found in the workbook.
When I go to define name and look at the reference, it is looking at a file in another coworker's local temporary internet files folder (which the original coworker doesn't have direct access to). But on the pulldown menu in the Names box, and also the Go To menu, there is no mention of that specific range.
I hope this makes some kind of sense -- thanks for any help!

Brian

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Defined names that are formulae never show up in the Names box or the Goto box. You can see where the name refers to, as you have already found out, by looking at the reference.

So, what is the problem exactly, or were you just curious?

Upvote 0
Brian

Not all defined names appear in the Names drop-down menu, so don't be surprised that you may not see it there (any dynamic named ranges won't appear listed here for example, but do appear in the dialog accessible via Insert>Names>Define).

What are you wishing to do re this named range?

Richard

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback -
In this case, we are simply looking for the source data - the worksheet where the numbers are being pulled from.
The workbook was setup by someone else.
So - ultimately - I'd like to be able to see/manipulate the named range in its proper context (a worksheet, I'd imagine).
But where is it???
Again - the reference to to the temporary internet folder on another coworkers local C drive, which we have no access to.
Hope that clarifies a bit...

Upvote 0
You say that the source data is not accessible, but are then asking where it is. What kind of answer are you expecting exactly?

Upvote 0
Potentially, if you go Tools>Options>Calculation tab, towards the bottom of the tab under Workbook options you will probably see that you have "Save External Link Values" checked, which means your workbook is actually carrying around a saved copy of the values actually in the externally referenced defined name. In other words, even if the temporary file has been deleted/can't be accessed across the network, the references will still work since they are not getting the values from the external file.

Richard

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back