Nesting Functions

They're too simple. Very few of them will combine functions. Please show me a link that does.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
They're too simple. Very few of them will combine functions. Please show me a link that does.
Once you understand the process, it all kind of follows the same pattern.
Substituting one function into another functions arguments.
That is really all there is to it. If you can understand the simple ones, the longer ones are just that, longer.
Start small, and keep building your way up.

Since the concept is fairly straightforward, I don't know that you will find a book dedicated to complex nested functions, as they are really more specific to the task at hand (so if you got a book on Engineering for Excel, you may find some good nested functions pertaining to that, etc).

Ok, let me be a little more specific. How do I learn how to create nested functions with the new 365 functions?

If you want, I'll list the functions I know how to use. Please let me know. I'll list some formulas I've come across in some YouTube videos instead.

Have you used the FILTER function along with an INDEX/MATCH, ROWS, SEQUENCE, OR A SUM PRODUCT WITH A --, array functions, etc.?

How much do you know about Excel?

How do I learn how to create nested functions with the new 365 functions?
I am doing it mostly by
- reading the basic Help file on the functions
- reading threads in this forum that use them
- trying to answer questions in this forum using them
- plenty of trial and error

Very few of them will combine functions. Please show me a link that does.
Easy to turn up plenty of examples in the forum using the search facility and some of the function names of interest. For example, here a few where I simply searched for FILTER SEQUENCE (which searches for either or both but the small preview of each makes it pretty quick to find something of interest)
List All Possible Combinations (without Power Query) on a Mac
Need help with making complex formula
Average with large and small function

So everyone on this forum just uses resources from Mr. Excel?

There are a lot more resources than this user-contributed forum.

You guys are totally missing out.

What exactly is it you want? You seem to complain about every answer you get to the questions you actually ask. Why do you care where the examples you are given are located?

So everyone on this forum just uses resources from Mr. Excel?

There are a lot more resources than this user-contributed forum.
Absolutely not! Stop twisting our words!
It is ONE of the ways to do it (and what we say about this forum is also true for other Excel forums - I commonly provide links to questions/articles on other Excel forums).
I listed other resources as well, which you conveniently seem to ignore.

You acknowledge your deficiency in this area, and asked us what we do. You have asked us what we do, and we told you.
Then you jump on us for the answers we provide. If you don't like the answers, then stop asking the question.

The point in there is plenty of stuff out there all over the internet. It is just requires a little effort on your part to find it.

What does it take to learn how to nest functions? I've created some advanced nested functions in the past, a few a bit complicated to get what I need to do. I haven't used many of the new 365 functions yet. I watch their videos, use their formula, and change it to how I need to for my spreadsheets but I can create them because I took it from someone else.

What type of skillset allows someone to know how to nest functions in one formula?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back