BeforeClose optional message box

capinlarry

I have a workbook setup to not close if certain cell(s) are not filled out to prevent error (code below). However, it has become rather annoying if we need to open a sheet just for reference as we have to fill in all of the cells to before excel will close. Instead of preventing the worksheet to close altogether I have been trying to come up with a way to have the message box give the user a reminder ("Item X is not filled out") with 2 buttons, either to go back ("Go back"/"Return", etc.), or to confirm closing excel ("Close") with option #1 ("Go back: button) not closing excel and option #2 ("Close" button) causing excel to close. Any ideas?

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Dim ws As Worksheet: Set ws = Sheets("CBI Datasonde Cal")

If ws.Range("D5").Value = "" Then
MsgBox "Please fill out Datasonde Make", vbCritical
ElseIf ws.Range("G5").Value = "" Then
Cancel = True
MsgBox "Please fill out Datasonde Model", vbCritical
ElseIf ws.Range("J5").Value = "" Then
Cancel = True
MsgBox "Please fill out Serial #", vbCritical
ElseIf ws.Range("M5").Value = "" Then
Cancel = True
MsgBox "Please fill out Station", vbCritical
ElseIf Application.WorksheetFunction.CountBlank(ws.Range("D9:D12")) > 0 Then
Cancel = True
MsgBox "Please fill out all blank cells under PRE-DEPLOYMENT CALIBRATION", vbCritical
ElseIf Application.WorksheetFunction.CountBlank(ws.Range("E41:E44")) > 0 Then
Cancel = True
MsgBox "Please fill out all blank cells under PREDEPLOYMENT MAINTENANCE/SETUP", vbCritical
ElseIf ws.Range("H41").Value = "" Then
Cancel = True
MsgBox "Please fill out all blank cells under PREDEPLOYMENT MAINTENANCE/SETUP", vbCritical
End If

End Sub

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
easiest way would be for an input box to pop up and you type "1" to close or "2" to go back. You can make your own window dialog with two buttons if you create a userform

then instead of putting True on cancel, you test the input and decide to cancel or not

Last edited:
Upvote 0
easiest way would be for an input box to pop up and you type "1" to close or "2" to go back. You can make your own window dialog with two buttons if you create a userform

then instead of putting True on cancel, you test the input and decide to cancel or not

I think I may take a shot at creating a window. I forgot to mention that I am nearly brand new to VBA code but have messed around a little bit with other version of BASIC. I will give this a shot and post some code and whether or not I was successful.

Thanks!

-- removed inline image ---

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raviguru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back