Beginner in need of help. :(

ronok

Ok, so I have to create an excel based rental store for school, but, I have no idea what I'm doing on excel. This is down to a multiple of reasons (including my teacher not knowing anything himself -_-). Well anyway, I have pretty much got the design done, but, I need to create a couple of pages in which people can choose what they want and then have the prices displayed on a kind of receipt page that shows what has been chosen as well as the price and total price of everything.....

I know this is a lot to ask for but I really need help and this is my last hope. :(

If any more information is needed then just say so.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi ronok, welcome to the board.
As a rule, most folks here won't help with school work, but the way you describe your situation makes me think it's not an excel class you're asking for help with, so I think it's fair game.

Without a better idea of your particular layout, about the best I can suggest is that you check out the VLOOKUP function. Bear in mind that to use this from one sheet to another, you'll need to name the range your data resides in.

Post back if you need any help with these...
Dan

Upvote 0
Yeah this isn't an excel class, if it was I would know atleast something about what I'm doing. :)

I'm going to try and take that advise, you just gave, but, if I can't get that to work, do you think I could post some print screens and then you can get an idea of what I've got going so far. Or maybe I could host the excel file so you can take a look... Just to get an idea on my layout.

Upvote 0
Absolutely.
If you want to PM me with an email address I can send you a file with a good break down & description of how the Vlookup works. (Would be a lot easier and quicker than typing out an explanation, plus you'd have it for future reference.)

Dan

Upvote 0
Ok, so halface is currently helping me with one possible solution, but, I just came up with another idea, but, I'm not sure how I would pull it off.

Basically my idea is to use a checkbox setup.... But, what I want to know is how I would convert the basic true and false in order to display the purchase information.... I would also need to work out how to display this in a certain area instead of one specified cell.... So lets say 3 products are selected they appear in order one above the other instead of with gaps in between where the other products would be... :-/

I have no idea if this would work though. ^^

It might even be the same set up halface is thinking of... Hehe.

**** I really should have asked this forum way before deadline. -_-

Upvote 0
Ok, so using an IF function I've worked out how to get the price and name of the product into a specific cell. This however means I will have to have a specific space for each product and that just isn't very practical.... Is there anyway for me to make excel sort this into a tidy list? So it would enter the text in the next free cell instead of one spcified?

EDIT: This triple post looks really bad, I'm sorry. If I wasn't in a rush I really wouldn't have done this. Sorry.

Upvote 0
Hi ronok,
Check your email for an explanation of the Vlookup. It should do what you're after.
Post back if you need any further help with this.
Dan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back