Best Method to Aggregate Monthly Data

rawraw

Hello!

I have monthly financial data with the months across the row and the financial metrics down the column. I need to aggregate these months into quarterly, annual, or quarterly/annual displays for the user. I wrote formulas to generate the correct headings based on the user selection. But when I wrote the formulas using sumproducts as a two dimensional sumif, the workbook slowed down too much (there was roughly a 1 second delay between pressing enter and Excel responding). Does anyone have ideas on how to structure this aggregation? Currently I have built a tab that pulls the data with index(match(match in the exact layout that I need to aggregate the data and then I'm using sumifs on the rows. But I'd prefer it to sum based on matching the row name and not a direct row reference.

Any insight?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hi
if you have XL2016 you can Unpivot the static table making it a range which can be easily analysed with a Pivot Table

Upvote 0
Hi
if you have XL2016 you can Unpivot the static table making it a range which can be easily analysed with a Pivot Table
Thanks! I am using the most recent Excel and have never heard of this. Admittedly, I have always avoided using PivotTables. Do you have any links or comments on best practices on how to use this when the underlying data will be updated each month (meaning the size of the table will increase by one monthly period and there may be restatements in the prior historical periods). Is the PivotTable sensitive to changing table sizes?

Thanks for the information

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back