SteveOranjinSteve

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there,

I've been learning VBA, but I find the VBA tutorials kinda weak. Any thoughts on what is out there? In terms of books/ online classes that I can take? What is the best route to learning VBA as quickly as possible.

Hope you're well,

Steve

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
What helped me personally (a decade ago): read a chapter of Excel 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference before bedtime every day.
Depending on your learning style you could go for a book (yeah, good old paper), an online course and/or video tutorials. My personal favorites are the courses and the book, tutorials are too slow for me. The ones I like: Excel VBA Programming - a free course for complete beginners and Free VBA Training Course , or if you want something more full-fledged (but generally slower), you could try a course on e.g. Coursera or EDX.
Just scrolled through a list of Excel/VBA books, if I had to buy a book right now, I'd go for "Excel 2016 Power Programming with VBA (Mr. Spreadsheet's Bookshelf)".

Also, you may want to check out some of the offerings in the MrExcel store!

I am myself a VBA beginner and I have surfed through a lot of videos to get help.
None of them matched the Youtube link given below. Almost all the topics are covered and each one has been explained in depth. I am happy to have come across it.
God Bless Andrew for this!

Click this below given YouTube Link:
VBA Playlist

And good luck to you in your learning journey.

Given you've already been learning VBA, I think the best way is to write more VBA: anything you can do for your work/home, and answer (not just read) questions on this forum. Practice, practice & then more practice.

Given you've already been learning VBA, I think the best way is to write more VBA: anything you can do for your work/home, and answer (not just read) questions on this forum. Practice, practice & then more practice.
Absolutely true. I am a beginner in VBA and after watching the video or reading an article it feels as it you know it.
But, when I actually go and start coding I get stuck at number of places. And by actually coding, I am gradually getting the hang of it.

The advice from @Fazza is very true....and when you finally think you have it nailed, someone will come along it show a faster, cleaner, more efficient method....We are constantly learning !!!

wow, interesting, about learning, the question is who really want to teach you, to share maybe paths that do not exist on youtube or whatever site, what about, some person here decide to show something.
I have been trying and trying, and still loop are a pain you know where.

I did 2 training courses as part of an employment training initiative.....I'm no expert, but I was showing the trainer better methods than were in the training.
Nobody will teach you for nothing....but the free resources here will provide all the info required...here for example....Hiker95's list
While it's great to have access to forums like this, some application from the end user (you) is required. When a solution is provided to a question.....I'd suggest trying to deconstruct that code to see what does / doesn't work. Go ahead and post a question about your looping, see what responses you get. If your lucky you may get numerous responses that you can then compare and try to adjust.
Also, unless you have a project to apply your code to, you will probably never truly get the grasp of VBA.....I recall when I was in school, I had a course called Logic, where they tried to teach me things like, "a=a+1"......how can that work, and I never understood it !!
Many years later, I was doing some very basic coding and needed "a" to keep incrementing by 1....and then it struck me......"a=a+1".....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back