Best Way to Deduplicate Records but leave one

jscranton

I have an extremely large table (4.8MM records) that is the result of users importing excels with the same format into this table. From what I can tell, there are a significant number of duplicates within this population (likely from users importing the same excel twice). The tricky part is that I want to remove duplicates where all fields are the same but leave at least one record. In Excel, I would just concatenate all the fields into a new column and then deduplicate the table on that concatenated field. Is there a way to do this in access?

Thanks,

J

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.

alansidman

Office Version
Platform
Windows
It would create a query result that only lists unique rows. If you then need that somewhere else, you could do a MakeTable query, export to Excel, include in a report, etc. which only have the unique information.

jscranton

Thanks. The problem is that even deduplicated it is over 2MM rows. I ended up building a new table and appending the uniques to it.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvergili

This Week's Hot Topics