Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
  4. 2011
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hey everyone. I'm getting close to being finished with a Macro-Enabled Excel workbook I've been working on for a while now. I plan to release it publicly, but do not want anyone to be able to see my VBA code. I know I can password protect it, but I've read that it's fairly easy for someone to still get into the VBA window to view it. I'm wondering what other techniques anyone has used to protect their code?

I've heard of something called Unviewable+, but haven't tried it yet.
https://www.spreadsheet1.com/unviewable-vba-project-app-for-excel.html

Anyone have any experience with it? Or anything else that is similar that they'd recommend?

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Unviewable+ is trivial to circumvent, it’s as easy as just password protecting it.

Honestly, without rewriting it in another language, compiling it and referencing as an addin, you’d be better off just sticking a standard password on and calling it a day.

People pay for support and changes if that’s what you’re concerned about, they aren’t interested in the source code

Upvote 0
Unviewable+ is trivial to circumvent, it’s as easy as just password protecting it.

Honestly, without rewriting it in another language, compiling it and referencing as an addin, you’d be better off just sticking a standard password on and calling it a day.

People pay for support and changes if that’s what you’re concerned about, they aren’t interested in the source code
I've been using Unviewable+ at work and it doesn't show code but only an error message when you try to access said code. How would someone circumvent it? With a hex editor or something? I'd really love to know this.

Upvote 0
Please do not ask questions regarding the breaking of security, as it is against board policy.

Upvote 0
As Fluff said, posting those details would violate rule 6 here: Message Board Rules
So please do not post those details here.
I understand that, but if there is a security risk to the VBA tools I've implemented, I need to figure out what that is because this is the first I've heard of it. Where can I find this out, any ideas?

Upvote 0
You can try
or any paid version

Upvote 0
By now I'm pretty sure I've looked everywhere. There is no mention of the security Unviewable+ provides to Excel files being circumvented. I suspect Kyle's remark is unfounded and not based on actual experience or documentation. I can highly recommend the application to any builder who wants to keep his/her code private. Just be careful you do it with a copy that you share with your users and not the actual file you work in, or you'll never be able to modify the code! Thankfully my employer provides a separate development environment as well as one for testing, but in the beginning I did make that mistake myself. Thank goodness for backups :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back