Best way to use a remote Access database + Excel + VBA?

GuitarMaker81

Hello all. As always, thanks for this repository of knowledge and experience. I manage a growing retail firm that has recently expanded from a single-location to two locations and a separate warehouse. Initally I was tasked with developing a Point of Sale system that would track our inventory and daily sales. Even without prior VBA experience, and owing much to this community, I was able to develop this application fairly easily. However, the framework was based upon the initial parameters: i.e. one location only. Now I have been asked to expand the application from one-store-beta to whole-system-live. All products being used are from the 2010 edition of Office. I've decided to use an Access database to store my individual inventory lines, so that a user at one location can easily see stock levels at all locations. The particulars of the data are not so important, the questions of how and where to store this database are. We have web hosting available. My instinct is to use ftp to simlpy host the file, but I am uncertain as to how to do this from within the VBA realm. Can anyone make a recommendation on where to begin researching the techniques needed to accomplish this? As always, the boss seems to think this is easier than it is. "Just use the cloud."
*Sigh*
I feel confident in my ability to accomplish this on one machine, as I have already learned how to read/write to and from Access files that reside on the same machine as the application, but any help getting that Access file to a remote location and editing it from within the VBA realm would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back