Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chip Pearson

• John Walkenbach

• Total voters

XL-Dennis

Hi all,

Don´t mix best with most famous because that´s a total different question!

Yes, they are all good but Stephen Bullen is the #1!

Kind regards,
Dennis

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Hi,

I think all of them have done excellent things for the Excel world - I've used ideas from all of them at one point or another. Stephen Bullen has produced some amazing examples of using the Windows API to do all sorts of things that aren't possible with VBA alone. My personal favourite is formfun and well worth a look www.bmsltd.co.uk Also, I bought the Excel 2000 Programmers reference a couple of years back, and if I remember correctly, he wrote the VBE programming and API chapters. This book is probably one of the best computer books (of any product, language) I've read and that had a lot to do with his teaching style.

However, I've voted for Chip Pearson. This is based purely on how often I reference is website and the quality of his posts on the newsgroups. He doesn't just explain his answers, he WANTS to help the OP understand the why and how of his solution(s). Also, I asked a question a while back which I thought would never be answered - I wanted to know how do I list members, constant values, enumerated types, etc of a specified type library in a worksheet. Here's what he came up with...

I have to vote for Bullen. He has solved many, MANY problems that we still face, and most of them were solved A LONG time ago ! and after reading his chapters in Excel VBA 2002, well, he's got my vote !

Re DK's experience with Chip Pearson, I had a similar one with John Walkenbach about two years ago when I was just starting in my attempts to unravel the wonders of Excel.

I sent him an email asking him how to return the number of days in any given month (how embarrassing!!).

He actually replied and in an extremely polite manner - and provided the solution.

A gentleman and a very gracious person!

I had to go with Mr Bullen. Some of my favourite code that I've "borrowed" has come from the examples on his site. I enjoy looking at Chip's code examples too, but I like Stephen's examples like "FormFun". It's more of a challenge, you almost have to understand everything about the code before modifying it to suit your needs.

I agree with dk about "Excel 2000 Programmers Reference" especially the chapters he mentioned. That's what opened up a lot of stuff for me too.

Although, I see that dk used Chip's suggestion for making a shorter link. ;) (I've used that too, but couldn't resist a dig)

In my, admittedly limited, experience with Excel I have had to vote for John Walkenbach. I use his PUP addin all the time and find it extremely useful and I am wading my way through both his exellent books, Excel Formulas and Power Programming with VBA. Also he was very helpful when I was enquiring about the PUP addin and I have to agree with Ponsonby (shock, horror :LOL: ) that he is a gentleman of the first degree.

I'd have to say Walkenbach, myself.

I've never really asked any of them questions, but I really appreciate the loads of JWalk open-source tools out there. Chip has a bunch of open-source tools too, but JWalk's tools have made it into more of my applications than anybodies.

Among my favorite, the CreateMenu and DeleteMenu macros featured in Colo's HTML maker. This is an incredibly useful tool.

I need to check more out on Mr. Bullen, looks impressive.

I guess it's hard for me to say. It seems as though everyone in the presented list definitely has used Excel before and all bring some skill sets to the table. I'd hate to pick one...

How about Other: Laurent Longre

:eek:

I've seen more Morefunc solution postings than I can shake a stick at, and here's what Chip Pearson had to say about his Excel knowledge:Post. Tres bien. Again, all great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back