Big Excel Bug: Randomly all numbers formatted and displayed as dates on open.

Chartist

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Ok, this one really did me in. I have lost hundreds of workhours over this already. Its been posted elsewhere:
MSFT: Excel 2007 spontaneously formats entire work book in date format -- - Microsoft Community
MrExcel: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/603555-unwanted-change-date-formatting.html
Other Forum: Spreadsheet's numbers change to date

No proper fix AFAIK. I want to make one thread where we all can check at least what's causing it.

So the issue is:
I have an Excel 2007 workbook with no problems for years. Suddenly, one day I open it and all the formatting in the sheet is messed up - the problem is with formatting only. All the numbers are being displayed as dates. Others have reported the same issue with everything becoming currency. The change in formatting reoccurs again randomly.

It seems there is some corruption sometimes of the Normal template. Two temporary fixes:
1. Unprotect all sheets, then Format Cells > Custom > delete all the custom formats like [$-409]m/d/yy h:mm AM/PM;@ etc.
2. From the MVP in above link:
Home> Cell Styles
...Right-click: NORMAL...Select: Modify
...Click the Format button
...Number_Tab....Category: General

Both solutions are temporary. Plus they are not full solutions - what happens is all the numbers are restored to their old formatting BUT all dates lose their format, and are also converted to numbers like 40164 which you need to manually fix the formats of! After a while, again on opening the sheet, it randomly goes back to messed up displays. I have a big setup of 30+ machines and by now 3 of them have this problem and we are utterly dependent on Excel. I have lost a lot of productivity and am in fear of a new person bringing this to me. It happened suddenly - all 4 machines reported it within a week - so I don't know if its spreading - we do open files of one computer on another. Further, I can confirm that even new files created and worked on from a machine where this has happened before are randomly then infected with the same problem! Which makes it so serious.

Four possible causes/symptoms from all the threads I have read so far:
1. Shared Workbooks:
to me happens on some workbooks which are shared, and others which are not.

2. Protected Sheets:
to me same thing, happens in xlsx with protected and no protected sheets.

I'm putting my money on these:
3. Control Panel > Regional Settings changed:
I have played around with these, but still never had this problem before.

4. Multiple instances of Excel with copy-paste across them:
This I do all the time.

Anyone tried something? Will formatting the machine fix this? What about files which are already messed up?

Dang you Microsoft. If you have seen this bug or have any ideas, pls post..

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
a recent conversion suggest excel is being helpful when it recognises a custom format and applies it. have a look for xsformatcleaner.xla (its free) and clean a work book. It is possible to add a spot of vba that can reapply your normal formats.
One guess is a machine out there has different settings and causing the problem

Upvote 0
Experiencing the same issue. Actually, I notice the issue right after we received the latest patch (sp2 I think). Can you please tell me if you actually tested out the "xsformatcleaner.xla"?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back