Big Rebuild of Failed Workbook is…Failing?

OaklandJim

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I’m doing a complete rebuild of a big workbook that mysteriously stopped working with no apparent reason.

Many hours into the new workbook. Now a different effin’ mystery problem has come up and now my big effort may be a bust. Problem is I cannot tell what I did wrong so I cannot try to avoid it for another try at a rebuild. I am very frustrated!

Background: I use a lot of names. I try to avoid referring to cells by address. So I have a lot of names. Many using offset for “dynamic” size.

Got pop-up that says the following.

“Excel found a problem with one or more formula references in this worksheet.

Check that the cell references, range names, defined names and links to other workbooks in your formulas are correct.”

First I cannot tell what worksheet. I get the same message when opening if any worksheet is the active one when opening. I think the error message should have said workbook.

Second, I always avoid links to other workbooks. I cannot find links in any RefersTo fields or in cell formulae. None are shown under Edit Links.

Also I do use a fair number of home made functions in combination with names, if that might matter.

I sure hope that someone has some ideas about what to try or to look for?

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Do you have any charts in the workbook?

Upvote 0
Hello Rory. Thank you so much for responding! No charts. No links. No bad RefersTo. This happens when the file is opened. I get a dialog box. Interestingly, I cannot find any issues with the actual functioning of the workbook. I have no other ideas about what to try. Just tried the Application

I'd sure appreciate help with this. I've gotten overly emotional about this application. It's given me so much heartache and now the rebuild is effed up. It took me a month just to get up the willingness to try the rebuild. I'm now about seven days in. I hope that I don't have to start again.

Otherwise, all is well.

Upvote 0
Many range names. Numerous relative references. Many using offset. It MAY have occurred when I renamed a bunch of the names.

I'd be happy to share the file. How do I do that?

Thank you so much for offering to assist. This means a lot to me.

Jim

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back