Binary Search and String Order Position

Eldrod

Board Regular
Hey, I'm hoping someone has a quick fix for this situation. I have a macro that renames specific named range names from a list. In the spreadsheets I run this against, there may be 10,000+ named ranges so it takes way too long to search my Named range Variant to locate the one to change. In order to rename a Named Range name without losing the RefersTo: part of it, I load a variant like ListOfNames = Activeworkbook.Names then use an index like ListofNames(Pointer) = NewNRName to rename it.

I'm using a binary subroutine to more quickly locate the matching entry in the ListOfNames, but I have run into a snag with names that contain numbers.

The ListOfNames table is automatically sorted when produced in such as way that "zzz_item_2_data" comes before "zzz_item_20_data". But when I run the routine, every comparison I use results in that first one being greater than the second item.

So lets say:
Needle = "zzz_item_2_data"
Haystack = "zzz_item_20_data"

StrComp(Needle,Haystack,vbBinaryCompare)
StrComp(Needle,Haystack)
If Needle < Haystack

all say Needle is greater than Haystack.

I know the issue is the "0" after the 2 on Haystack but need a way to cause the compares to give the same positioning as ListOfNames.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
I would suggest you use a naming convention where each number within the names are 5 digits.

zzz_item_00002_data
zzz_item_00020_data

That way they are alphabetically and numerically in order.

You could write a routine to rename them all. It would be a bit of a pain but you would only have to do it once.

Upvote 0
Hi Eldrod,

I think you can use the StrComp function as long as you specify you want to do a textual comparison. That's the purpose of the "1" as the third argument in the funtion call below:

Code:
Sub TestGreater()
  MsgBox StrComp(Needle, Haystack, 1)
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks, guys! Looks like the vbTextCompare option will probably work. I was concerned about its case insensitivity as these named ranges could have variable case in them, but I think I can work with this option.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back