Blank row in a table

wagwan_jc

Hi,

I am trying to create a space between two rows in a table...

I have two tabs;
TAB1 : Database
TAB2 : Tables

In [Database] we have listed all the items which we use.

In [Tables] I have a table, in which each row contains an item. The items in [Tables] are all taken from [Database]. So whenever inserting an item in tables we will press [=] in the cell and click the cell from database containing the item to be inserted.

In my table all the cells are upper justified. There is no border inside the table. The objective is to create a space between each row inside the table, without inserting blank rows (which cannot be done anyways in a Table).

To accomodate for this what I have done is, insert a blank line after the text for each item in my Database. So in the cell in Database for item 1 for example, after filling in all the columns for this item, i would go to the column with the most text, and press [ALT+ENTER] to create a blank line. This will create the blank line desired between each row in my table;

But I would like to know is there a more professional way to accomplish this target?

Thanks,

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
WHY do you want blank rows? Do you just want a larger separator between rows? If so, you can do that by changing the height of the row. To get it to stick to that height, select an unused column and make the font in that column larger. This will give the illusion of an extra row without actually inserting one.

Upvote 0
Hi, Thanks for the response.

Yes, the idea is to create spacing between rows, as there is no borders inside the table, and to do this without having to insert blank rows.

The problem is that each row varies in the row height depending on how many lines the text requires. Some rows have 1line of text, some 2, some 3... In a file with many tables.
Is there a way to autofit the row heights with a extra margin at the margin?

Upvote 0
I get what you're saying - you want a little bit of extra space between rows, but the row height isn't consistent, so the workaround won't work...

Other than VBA, the only workaround I can think of is column pointing to the column you want driving the row height and adding a linefeed (char(10)) to the end of it
So, let's say column A is driving the row height. In another cell, I would put
=A2 & CHAR(10)

Though, you might still have to double-click to get the row height to update. And you might get more space then you want.
The VBA solution is better, but not perfect - for example, if your text ends at the end of the cell and Excel already adds a little extra space, the VBA doesn't know that and will extend it more. Code like this may work: Merged cells won't Autofit row height

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back