Blank values accepted in a list validated field

Nederbrakel

I have a named range without blanks in it.
I have configured cells in a column to be validated against this list.
If I type in a value that is not in the list and tab out of it, I get the expected error message, but if I leave the cell blank I get no error at all when leaving the cell.
I have "Ignnore blanks" un-ticked, although I have tried both options.
I have also tried using a table column as my named range.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Thanks. My understanding now is that the only way to avoid a blank entry is by using VBA. It has made me rethink the requirement. Enforcing this would mean that if someone clicks in the cell, there is no getting out of it without selecting an entry. Although that was my initial requirement, in which case the VBA in the above topic should resolve it, I'm no longer sure it is such a good idea in my scenario. Thanks again for your assistance.

Upvote 0
Thanks. My understanding now is that the only way to avoid a blank entry is by using VBA. It has made me rethink the requirement. Enforcing this would mean that if someone clicks in the cell, there is no getting out of it without selecting an entry. Although that was my initial requirement, in which case the VBA in the above topic should resolve it, I'm no longer sure it is such a good idea in my scenario. Thanks again for your assistance.

Yes, I think VBA is needed to resolve it.
If your scenario is the user will get warning if he leave the cell empty and then is given a choice to leave it empty or get back to it, I think that's doable by macro.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back