Blend two worksheets?

MsCynic

Board Regular
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is possible, and not being accountant-minded I can't think of any easy way anyway but here is my dilemma:

I have had sent to me sales figures for one of my branches and the accountant has divided them into worksheets of July-June years. So what I have is 12 months from July 05 on one worksheet and three months from July 06 on a second. Agent names run from top to bottom and monthly figures run from left to right.

I want to view the entire period from July 05 to September 06 on one worksheet. You'd think it would be a simple matter of cutting and pasting the three months onto the end of the 12 month worksheet. Unfortunately the agent names are different between the two worksheets.

I hoped there might be a way to "blend" or "merge" even, but for the life of me cannot think how it would be done.

I would be really pleased if anyone has any suggestions about how to resolve this dilemma.

Thanks in advance,
Jo

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Jo

Not sure if you want a macro / formula solution, or some ideas on an approach to this, so I'll go for the latter.

1) Create a new sheet.
2) Create a list of unique names in column A. There are various ways to do this (bring them both in, sort, delete duplicates or put them together somewhere else, then use a filter to generate a unique list).
3) Use VLOOKUP functions to bring in the relevant data from the source sheets.

HTH

Tony

Upvote 0
Hi Tony, thanks - you are right, I was hoping for exactly that kind of suggestion.

I've never heard of the vlookup function before so have started reading up about it. Don't be surprised if I post back with more questions ...

Thanks again,

Jo

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back