Boat fuel consumption - need suggestions for appropriate chart type / format for 3 types of inter-related data with 7 individual series

K_McIntosh

Hey all ... it's been a while ... I've moved on from my previous fascination with lottery winning numbers historical tracking and future picks odds predicting to something a wee bit more practical ... boat fuel consumption modeling ... based on actual usage data ... however ... I'm kinda' stuck on the creation of an appropriate chart sheet to complement my fledgling data set ... I swear chart creation seemed much more straightforward in Excel 2000 (/ 2003?) ... Excel 2007 has got me turned around somewhat in regards to charts ...

I have compiled a few data points for fuel consumption and 2 types of fuel consumption-related data (plus 4 types that are essentially data type repeats, just expressed in different units ... that are arrived at by use of common mathematical conversion factors for each) that are all inter-related for fuel consumption monitoring / modeling purposes on a twin diesel inboard engine power boat (these are older diesel engines w/o digital fuel-flow data available from a computerized injector management / monitoring system).

For fuel consumption, I have an Imperial Gallons Per Hour column of data points starting at 0 and ending at 30 (IGPH) - in increments of 1 (IGPH) for charting purposes, however, the actual data will be fractional ... to 5 decimal places.

This data is initially arrived at on a separate data sheet. By filling the boat's fuel tanks full every time (to the exact same level of fullness, give or take a very wee bit ... best not to risk overfilling boat fuel tanks), recording the total quantity of fuel added each time as well as the hourmeter readings and date, then dividing the gallons used by the hours (averaged between the two engines, usually near identical hours usage, each) of operation for each data entry set on the data sheet. This will be an overall average consumption figure for all types of boat usage per fill interval, however, with any given type of usage (RPM, speed, load & bottom condition variables) dominating a given interval, and, good log book record-keeping of same, it should be possible to determine fuel consumption trends .. especially with the visual aid of an appropriately configured chart sheet.

For engine RPM, I have a 'synchronized RPM' column (both engines are typically run at or as close as possible to the same RPM) of data points starting at 0 and ending at 2,800 (RPM) - in increments of 100 (RPM), with one data point exception: 2,250 (RPM).

For boat speed, I have a 'knots' column (nautical miles per hour) of data points starting at 0 and ending at 25 (knots) - in increments of 1 (knot) for charting purposes, however, the actual data will be fractional ... to 5 decimal places.

There will also be boat speed in statute miles per hour (mph) and kilometres per hour (kph) ... these are based on the 'knots' values converted in the data sheet ... again, fractional values.

And, there will be fuel consumption figures expressed in U.S. Gallons per Hour (USGPH) and Litres per 100 kilometres (LP100k) ... these are based on the IGPH values converted in the data sheet ... again, fractional values.

The latter four data type repeats are useful in the data sheet as at-a-glance conversion references, however, they may 'muddy the waters' too much (or serve no valid visualization purpose) for inclusion in a single chart sheet ... along with the 3 essential data types.

For now, I have had to interpolate many in-between data points until such time as actual hard data is established for various RPMs / speeds. I'd like to settle on a chart type / format and test / tweak it while collecting actual hard data. If anyone has been here, done this, your input would be invaluable. Otherwise, suggestions as how best to tackle this little project would be most welcome.

Sorry to be sooooooo long-winded ... thanks, KMc

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
I think you need engine listed, also river / sea, and that doesn't account for tidal flow, maybe location and date which would allow for back calculation of tide, also things like barnacle removal would effectively increase the efficiency of the hull

Upvote 0
mole999 ... thank you for Replying to my thread: Boat fuel consumption ... actually ... I'm not looking to anticipate all of the hull efficiency factors ... I'm just plotting the basic #'s and looking for a chart format to visualize that ...

I have Perkins TV8.540.M diesel engines and run in the Salish Sea, aka Georgia Strait (Pacific NorthWest tidal waters [sea]) ... however I don't think those factors will be coming into the mix here.

Unlike Caterpillar or other marine diesel engine manufacturers, to my knowledge, Perkins did not publish performance curve data or graphs ... see a Caterpillar example below:

Caterpillar_3116-TA_TMI_--_TM9.html

KMc edit: direct link to image

The chart used by Caterpillar is along the lines of what I envisioned for my data.

Thanks again, KMc

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back