Body text in excel spreadsheet

my mate marmite

Hi all

First timer.

Is there a way one can have a spreadsheet that can accommodate text like a word document?

I have a spreadsheet that inports data from another spreadsheet but requires comments about that data to be input on the same sheet. I realise I can put in a text box but this doesn't work the way I would like. I've tried making a field a text field with wrap around but this, it seems, is limited to the width of the cell which is limited to the data above. If there is some way I can expand the field without affecting the width of the columns above that would be exactly what I want. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

My Mate Marmite

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Welcome to the Board!

Have you tried inserting comments? Select the required cell, then from the 'Insert' menu choose 'Comment'. A box then appears for you to type whatever etc etc. It also remains hidden until you hold the mouse over it.
The commented cell is marked with a small triangle in the corner.

Regards

Upvote 0
Glaswegian

Many thanks for your answer. I'm not sure inserting a comment is exactly what I am looking for. I need to be able to update my spreadsheet monthly with new comments but keeping a history and it would be a bit fiddly putting a new comment in each time moving the other comment and resizing etc. I also need to be able to print it. I know this can be done with comments but not so easily. Perhaps the text box is my best option?

Thanks again

my mate marmite

Upvote 0
Without knowing more about your file etc it sounds as though a text box may suit. At least you can re-size, edit the text and also print. You could use an Autoshape box which you could format to move and size with the cells or perhaps a Control Toolbox Text box - you may have to experiment a bit to see which suits best.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back