Borders In Word

Palendrone

Board Regular
Hi folks,

I normally only ever reside in Excel and don't often venture out much except I have a problem with a Word document someone has created for me. Being a novice with word I would like to know about boxes that automaticaly size when you type into them, the problem being that when you paste something in it pastes it OK but the borders at the side dont get added to, seems like a small problem I know and probably an easy fix but its bugging the heck out of me.

Please Help, thanks

Mike

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Hi Palendrome

It would appear from what you wrote that you have text boxes. If you click on the border of the box, you should see a gray patterned outline with little circles on them which you can use to resize the box.

If this is your case, then all you need to do is to right click, format text box, select the text box tab, and tick the two check boxes - word wrap (if you want it) and resize auto shape to fit text.

There are two other options for drawing boxes - border (like in excel) will give you a fixed size box the length of your margin, and tables and borders (again, like excel) where you can draw borders around your table. It does not sound like you have either of the latter. If you have, let us know and we will try to figure out a solution.

HTH

Upvote 0
Another option -- the Word document may be using a defined style with a border. If you paste in from elsewhere, and your new text doesn't have the same style, it won't have the borders.

You can check by putting the cursor somewhere in one of the bordered sections, then checking the Name box (top left) to see if it has a specific name (other than Normal). If that's the case, select all of the text that you want to have the border and reapply the style.
Exactly HOW to reapply the style depends on which version of Word you use. Check the Help.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back