Brain fade...

de-luded

Hi. I have a spreadsheet with 4 columns related to my trading. The columns are A: Fill Price, B: Current Price, C: Long/Short (I have used 1 or -1 as data) and D: Change.

I want to calculate D being a positive or negative figure.

This will need to work both for the situations where I am going Long, so hopefully B will be greater than A producing a positive figure, and also where I am going Short, so that hopefully B will be less than A in order to produce a positive figure.

I am assuming that C will be required as a "switch", but I can't resolve how to do this.

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Welcome to the board!

Could you post a sample table of (fictional) data showing some figures and expected results, this will make it much easier for us to understand what you're trying to do.

If you create a table (with borders) in excel, you can copy and paste it in your reply.

Remember to add borders in excel before you copy.

Upvote 0
Okay P45CAL

If only it were that simple... this works fine with Long positions, but not Short (-1) calcs..

Fill Price Current L/S Change Your answer
1.02740 1.04000 1 0.01260 0.01260
1.04641 1.02000 1 -0.02641 -0.02641
78.3400 79.70000 1 1.36000 1.36000
23.9000 22.76000 -1 1.40000 46.66000
23.4000 26.00000 -1 -2.60000 49.40000

Thanks,

Tony

Upvote 0
Try

Sheet6

<TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; FONT-FAMILY: Calibri,Arial; FONT-SIZE: 11pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 30px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><COL style="WIDTH: 63px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD><TD>C</TD><TD>D</TD><TD>E</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">1</TD><TD>Fill</TD><TD>Current</TD><TD>L/S</TD><TD>Change</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">2</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">1.0274</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1.04</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0.0126</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">0.0126</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">1.04641</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1.02</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">-0.02641</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">-0.02641</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">4</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">78.34</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">79.7</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1.36</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1.36</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">5</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">23.9</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">22.76</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">-1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1.4</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1.14</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">6</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">23.4</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">26</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">-1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">-2.6</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">-2.6</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 18px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">7</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; FONT-SIZE: 10pt">23.4</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">26</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">-1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">-2.6</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">-2.6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: groove; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #00ff00; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: groove; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fffcf9; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #00ff00; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: groove; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #00ff00; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: groove; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #00ff00"><TBODY><TR><TD>Spreadsheet Formulas</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 9pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><TD>Cell</TD><TD>Formula</TD></TR><TR><TD>E2</TD><TD>=C2*IF(B2<A2,-(A2-B2),B2-A2)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1

Not sure if row 5 result is wrong or if there was a typo in the sample.

Upvote 0
Thanks jasonb75

Thanks p45cal ~ that will do nicely.

Help gratefully received, cheers guys...

Tony

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back