TheRedCardinal

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I am at a loss about how to handle a common occurrence in my latest macro development.

The macro workbook (Wbk1) selects a file from a subfolder, called data, opens it, allocates it to a workbook variable WBk2, and then directly copies a sheet that is either called ICA or ICD from Wbk2 into Wbk1, a simple copy and paste job.

My user is required to prepare Wbk2 in advance by loading in the new data, refreshing the pivot table, then extracting the data from the pivot table for product lines ICA and ICD into separate worksheets, called ICA and ICD. This is the normal double click on the value method of extracting from the pivot table.

Problem is, they often forget, and up until now, this leads to a crash of the macro when it can't find the sheet.

Can I ask for any ideas on how to handle, and code this?

What I would like is for the macro to identify that the sheet it is looking for isn't present; then ideally, could it go on and extract the relevant sheet from the pivot table, rename it, and proceed without any input from the user? But for this I am not sure how to perform the extraction itself, or how to identify the sheet that has just been created so as to rename it.

Or secondly, to effectively pause, and allow the user to create the sheets (with a helpful message saying what is missing) - but how do I allow this? How could I create a button for the user to press once he has fixed the mistake?

Or is there a better way that I've not thought of yet?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
The place to start is with a simple message to your user that something is wrong. Example:
VBA Code:
    Dim WS As Worksheet
    Dim NeededSheets As Variant, SH As Variant
    Dim SheetList As String

NeededSheets = Array("ICA", "ICD")

For Each WS In Wbk2.Worksheets                    'Workbook "Wbk2" is assumed to be present and already opened by your code prior to this statement
        SheetList = SheetList & WS.Name & "$"
    Next WS

For Each SH In NeededSheets
        If InStr(1, SheetList, SH & "$") = 0 Then
            MsgBox "Required data sheet '" & SH & "' is missing. Please correct and re-try."
            Exit Sub
        End If
    Next SH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back