break link to external workbook

confused in Frankfurt

Board Regular
Hi,

I have the following problem:
I am copying sheets from one workbook into another it has formulas linked to a sheet in the source workbook. I want to relink these to the new workbook and had the following formula which is creating an error 438.

ActiveWorkbook.ChangeLink Name:="Y:\pub\2011\Forecasting\Revenue Forecasting\CreationFile\" & _
"SamsUPdatecheckv2.xls", newname:=(ActiveWorkbook), _
Type:=xlLinkTypeExcelLinks

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.

Andrew Poulsom

MrExcel MVP
It would be:

newname:=ActiveWorkbook.FullName

but it must be saved.

If you group the sheets and copy them the formulas should remain relative provided that the referenced sheet is also copied.

confused in Frankfurt

Board Regular
Thanks Andrew,

This worked but I now have an error 1004

I can't copy all the sheets from the source workbook in one go. I copy two sheets in a loop and then in a later step a third sheet which is the one still linking to the source sheet. Manually I just change the source of the links in the links section

what am I doing wrong ?

Regards
Sarah

confused in Frankfurt

Board Regular
I have one master file where I create country specific lists which I then split out to a separate file for the receiving country manager

confused in Frankfurt

Board Regular
I had copied them over grouped - I have decided to break the links rather then change them see if that works

confused in Frankfurt

Board Regular
no longer - the last info's which were linked are now hard numbers and no longer linked to the source sheet, thanks for your help

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark Rob

This Week's Hot Topics