'Break links' leaves the links there instead of replacing them with values

Dumb Bo

I've been using Break links for years, and it always worked seamlessly. I'm now on Microsoft 365 Apps for business, and I find that it no longer works as expected on some files.

What I've done is gone to Data - Edit links, and selected Break link, as I always did. After doing this, "Edit links" is now greyed out (as expected) but the links are still all there, without having been removed: Excel did not replace any links with values. I tried to recreate the problem on brand new files, but I am unable to recreate the problem on new files. I am therefore thinking that it might be a compatibility issue with these older files (the problem files are xlsx, but were last used in a non-subscription installation of Excel, which I think was 2019 Pro Plus).

I haven't yet tried to break the links on the problematic files in Excel online to see if the result is any different, and I am about to try that. It is however strange that a simple functionality that always used to work well has now stopped functioning as expected.

I'm wondering if anyone has come across this before, and whether anyone found any solutions.

Thanks,
David

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
I've been using Break links for years, and it always worked seamlessly. I'm now on Microsoft 365 Apps for business, and I find that it no longer works as expected on some files.

What I've done is gone to Data - Edit links, and selected Break link, as I always did. After doing this, "Edit links" is now greyed out (as expected) but the links are still all there, without having been removed: Excel did not replace any links with values. I tried to recreate the problem on brand new files, but I am unable to recreate the problem on new files. I am therefore thinking that it might be a compatibility issue with these older files (the problem files are xlsx, but were last used in a non-subscription installation of Excel, which I think was 2019 Pro Plus).

I haven't yet tried to break the links on the problematic files in Excel online to see if the result is any different, and I am about to try that. It is however strange that a simple functionality that always used to work well has now stopped functioning as expected.

I'm wondering if anyone has come across this before, and whether anyone found any solutions.

Thanks,
David
As an update to my own post, Excel recently did the same thing on a different file, and I had closed the file without saving. This time I saved it, and when I reopened it I was given a message of there being issues with the file, and it repaired the issues. The repairs broke the links. I've no idea what went wrong in the first place, but all's well that ends well.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back