Break Links not working in auto-open macro

Ickle

Hi,

I have the following code which works fine if run when the file is open:

It copies 2 sheets out of the source workbook and breaks links thus removing external references. However when I run this via an auto-open macro the break link doesn't work.

I would be eternally grateful if anyone could shed any light on why and what I can do about it?

ActiveWorkbook.Save
MyFile = ThisWorkbook.FullName
Sheets(Array("DENOMINATION - VOLUME SUMMARY", "DENOMINATION - VALUE SUMMARY")). _
Select
Sheets("DENOMINATION - VALUE SUMMARY").Activate
Sheets(Array("DENOMINATION - VOLUME SUMMARY", "DENOMINATION - VALUE SUMMARY")). _
Copy
ActiveWorkbook.BreakLink Name:= _
MyFile _
, Type:=xlExcelLinks

Yours in anticipation,
Ickle Lynnie

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
In which workbook is the working code? Is it the same workbook as the Auto_Open code? And in what way doesn't it work?

Upvote 0
The code is in the source workbook.

I want to open source workbook (via another program ) update external data and have it export and unlinked copy of 2 of the workbook sheets.

When I run the macro manually within the source workbook this code removes links to the source workbook.

When I call this macro from an open workbook procedure
ie Private Sub Workbook_Open()
then the code does not remove links to the source workbook.

I'm mystified!

Upvote 0
How are you opening the workbook and are you sure the Workbook_Open event is firing?

Sorry I can't test at the moment because I only have Excel 2000 at the office (BreakLink is new).

Upvote 0
Hi,

Yes the macro is firing because it is performing the remainder of the macro fine. The difference is if I run it via the auto_open my resultant child workbook contains links to the source workbook (but exists and is right in all other respects) but if I hold shift to suppress the macro on file open and then run the macro manually then the child workbook correctly does not contain links.

I guess I could go back to the old fashioned way of doing a copy paste values on each sheet to eliminate the problem but it seems such a shame not to use the functionality when it's there!

Thanks anyway :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back