Breaking text file down into individual cell

oneway

I will be importing 4 text files into a worksheet.
I'm doing this by a command button for each text file, ( the only way I could figure out adding multiple text file to one worksheet, there maybe a better way, but this work). Here is the code for one of the buttons, the other three are the same except for the file path and name.

Code:
Private Sub cmdcyan_Click()
Dim sFile As String
  Dim sText As String
  Dim iFileNum As Integer

sFile = "C:\Documents and Settings\oneway\Desktop\cyan.txt"

iFileNum = FreeFile
  Open sFile For Input As iFileNum
  Input #iFileNum, sText
  Close #iFileNum

If Cells(1, 1).Value = "" Then
   lRowNum = 1
Else
   lRowNum = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count + 1
End If
Cells(lRowNum, 1).Value = sText
End Sub

the text file contians 23 numbers with a separator ( this could be any of these: Colon, Simi Colon, Space, or a Comma). The file now just goes into one cell. I'd like to separate each number into a individual cell, is this possible?

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Welcome to the Board!

Have you tried Data-->Text to Columns? Just select all of the delimiters appropriate to your situation.

HTH,

Smitty

Upvote 0
Thanks Smitty,

I've only been working with Excel off and on for about six months. I didn't know about the Data/Text to Columns. It's looks like a handy little function. But I see that I may worded my post wrong. I need to be able to put each of the 23 numbers on a separate row,running down the worksheet. I'd like this to be a function of the command button on the worksheet (not sure if function is the right term).

Upvote 0
Once you've parsed the information, you can copy it and goto Edit-->Paste Special-->Transpose to paste row data to columns & vice versa.

Smitty

Upvote 0
I was able to get what I needed by using the =MID in each cell, may have not been the best way but it works.

Now one more question. Is there a way I can save this work sheet so someone with out excel can see worksheet like it is? This is part of the worksheet, I also have buttons above each coloum to add the number into the blank cells.

EDIT: Removed HTML - It was incomplete and screwing up the page - Smitty

Upvote 0
Will that work on a Mac?
I was able to get it to save as a xlhtml, but not sure if they'll be able to see it ether.

Upvote 0
I'd read the specs in the article I referenced and see if the viewer supports MAC's. I don't know.

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back