bring cell contents to front

208mike

How do I get cell A to display its contents over cell B when cell B has a formula in it? If I delete the formula, the contents display. If I leave the formula in the cell, it moves in front and blocks the contents of cell A. Any ideas on how I can do this?

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Do you mean that you want the contents of cell A to precede the result of the Formula like:

A1 "Result is:"
B1 = 200

You see:

Result is:200

Dom

Upvote 0
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">It's hard for me to explain in words. I wish I could send you a picture of what I want to do. It's embarrasingly simple, I'm sure. I can't get an image out from here. Later tonight I'll try to be more specific from home where I have more authority over my technology.</v:shapetype>
<v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"></v:shapetype>
<v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">Thanks,</v:shapetype>
<v:shapetype stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">m</v:shapetype>

Upvote 0
Did anyone ever answer this? Or did you find out the answer? I think I am having the exact same issue...or something that can be fixed with the same fix, anyway.

I have two columns of data.

Column A contains a somewhat long string.
(For example: "SC234324 - Wal-Mart On David Street")

Column B contains a zip code, five digist, such as "75555".

I have formatted Column B so that it is right-justified, so the zip is as far right in the cell as it can get.

I would like for Column A to extend over Column B if the text is too long to fit in Column A (most are). So, in my example above, it would look like:

SC234324 - Wal-Mart On David Street 75555

Even though Column A may end, width-wise, somewhere around the "n" in "On". I still want it to display the "David Street" part, basically "over" or "in front of" Column B.

I can't just break up the cells/columns or re-size them or merge them or anything like that because I had to go back and add the zip into a very detailed worksheet that has already been build, and re-doing it would require MAJOR re-design of multiple pieces of the sheet due to it having extensive Macros that utilize the cell names/column letters, etc...plus lots of formatting.

I REALLY hope there is a way to do this.

Upvote 0
Hi,

If there is anything in the cell to the right of a cell, even just a formula like ="" then it is not possible to get the contents of the cell to the left to extend over it.

Dom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back