Broken active x controls!! Help please!

djamies1

Hi,

I downloaded an add-in this morning called "be graphic" to use maps in excel. The add-in didn't work so I un-installed. Afterward I tried to add an active x control to a spreadsheet and got the following message: "Cannot insert object". Additionally, my files with existing active x control buttons are no longer useable. I can't click any existing active x control buttons, but I can view their VBA code in design mode.

In an attempt to trouble shoot this so far, I have:
1) Uninstalled and re-installed office 2010
2) 'Fixed' my Microsoft office using uninstall a program
3) Cleared my excel settings using the registry
4) Upgraded to office 365 (brand new excel)
5) Rebooted my computer a million times

I still have the same error! Any help would be greatly appreciated before I lose my mind!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.

AlphaFrog

MrExcel MVP
A couple of suggestions:

From the VBA Editor menu select Tools\References
In the Available References list, is there any item(s) that are checked that start with the term "Broken" or "Missing"? If yes, uncheck it\them.

If you have a Personal Macro workbook, delete or rename it to disable it.
Where is the Excel Personal Macro Workbook Located?

In the VBA Editor's Project Explorer window (usually on the left), do you see any suspicious projects listed? There may be legitimate ones listed. Report back all your listed projects.

djamies1

A couple of suggestions:

From the VBA Editor menu select Tools\References
In the Available References list, is there any item(s) that are checked that start with the term "Broken" or "Missing"? If yes, uncheck it\them.

If you have a Personal Macro workbook, delete or rename it to disable it.
Where is the Excel Personal Macro Workbook Located?

In the VBA Editor's Project Explorer window (usually on the left), do you see any suspicious projects listed? There may be legitimate ones listed. Report back all your listed projects.
Didn't see any broken/missing items, below are a list of my VBA projects:
atpvbaen.xls(ATPVBAEN.XLAM) - not sure what this is
EuroTool(EUROTOOL.XLAM) - I believe this is a built in add-in
Solver(SOLER.XLAM) - I believe this is a built in add-in
VBAProject(Book1) - Current project?
VBAProject(FUNCRES.XLAM) - Not sure what this is
VBAProject(PERSONAL.XLSB) - personal macros, etc

Should I remove the ones I'm unsure of?

Will try renaming personal now... Thank you for all the advice!!!

AlphaFrog

MrExcel MVP
Funcres is for the Excel Analysis Toolpack and atpvbaen is for the <acronym title="visual basic for applications">VBA</acronym> Analysis Toolpack. Tey should bo okay.

Otherwise, I'm out of suggestions.

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
365, 2019, 2016, 2010
Platform
Windows, MacOS
Did you read the link Rick posted?

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wedloski

This Week's Hot Topics

• Copy entire row if CountA <>0 to another sheet
    [B]I want to copy entire row if CountA <>0 for column J7:AM7 (headers on J6:AM6) and so on till the last used cell is column D and paste the...
  • Select last used Row in Table
    I have created a Table in a Worksheet which is locked to prevent user errors and protect formula. Some of the cells require freetext entries which...
  • excel workbook: do not allow certain file name
    Hello all, Don't think this has ever been asked before, but how do I restrict file save [Before_Save Event] if the name of the file being saved...
  • fixing problem autofilter
    hello i need help about my code when i search by code in textbox it doesn't show anything this is my data [ATTACH type="full"...
  • “Weight”
    Hi, i’ve got a long sheet filled with weights such as kg,g,L & ml. i can build a formula to convert kg into g and liter into ml. How ever, my...
  • How to capitalize everything before a certain character?
    In column A, I have some text: Hello good day.mp3 Hello good day.flac etc. I'd like to capitalize everything before the period. I don't need the...