Austin Lang

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
  3. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I am currently doing an overhaul to my Budget/Bills Tracker. I have created a table that reads transactions and gives every transaction a category to be later totaled based on those categories. It used to work because the "table" of categories was not an actual table but was just listed on the page and I was able to specify the exact cell range to look to for the categories. I have now made the change so the information is in a table so more can be added easily and referencing a table is easier. The issue is if a transaction comes through that it doesn't recognize, it is showing "0". This means it is looking at the blank spaces in the table instead of "erroring out" like I want it to. How would I go about making it ignore the blank spaces in the table and "error out"? I attempted to add a simple IF statement to change "0" to "Unknown" but that creates a circular reference.

Old formula:
=IF(ISBLANK(M5),"",IFERROR(INDEX($V$50:$V$156,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH($U$50:$U$156,$M5)),0)),"Unknown"))

New Formula:
=IF(ISBLANK($M5),"",IFERROR(INDEX(TransKW,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TransKW[Keyword],$M5)),0),2)),"Unknown")

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Try like:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX(TransKW,MATCH(1,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TransKW[Keyword],$M5))*($M:$M<>""),0),2)),"Unknown")

Upvote 0
Are the values in col V numbers or text?
Also what is the name of that column?

Upvote 0
Are the values in col V numbers or text?
Also what is the name of that column?
Both column U and V were text. U is the keyword it is looking for, and V is the category. The new columns are "Keyword" and "Category".

Upvote 0
Try like:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX(TransKW,MATCH(1,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TransKW[Keyword],$M5))*($M:$M<>""),0),2)),"Unknown")
This doesn't quite work because now everything is labeled as "unknown". It must not be referencing the table correctly.

Upvote 0
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISBLANK($M5),"",IFERROR(INDEX(TransKW[Category],MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TransKW[Keyword],$M5)),0)),"Unknown"))

Upvote 0
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
=IF(ISBLANK($M5),"",IFERROR(INDEX(TransKW[Category],MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TransKW[Keyword],$M5)),0)),"Unknown"))
The formula functions in returning categories, but it still returns 0 instead of "Unknown"

If this helps, a snip of what I am looking at. Simplified.

1673455036814.png

Upvote 0
Which image contains the formula?

Upvote 0
Despite Fluff's suggestion, I will insist on my solution:
Excel Formula:
=IF(M5<>"",IFERROR(INDEX(TransKW[Category],MATCH($M5,TransKW[Keyword],0)),"Unknown"),"")

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carmadgar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back