Bug In excel 2016? - Vlookup occasionally fails to pull data from rows

Dancorkery26

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum. I have come across an unusual issue with excel. I am out of ideas!
Would really appreciate help with this.

Problem
I create a leftmost column to use for Vlookup. It contains =LotID&Unique ID formula. This is contained in sheet 1.
Sheet 2: The leftmost column in sheet 2 is ='sheet1'!A:A.
I then perform vlookup to drop detail into specific columns.
99% of the time the data is pulled without a problem.
For some reason occasionally it doesnt pull the information. The detail is there, I can clearly see it.
One thing I have noticed, when I do ctrl+F and try search for it sometimes it does not return.

I have attached a reduced example. Here you can clearly see the issue.

Attachments

• Image 4.JPG
    Image 4.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Image 3.JPG
    Image 3.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Image 2.JPG
    Image 2.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 13
  • Image 1.JPG
    Image 1.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 13

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
would you check LY403 and confirm there is no space after either your point to compare against

Upvote 0
would you check LY403 and confirm there is no space after either your point to compare against
Hi Mole999,
I checked for this by clicking into cell and no space visual. The unusual thing on this is sheet 2 column A is literally = formula 'sheet 1'! A:A.
They should be the exact same.

Thank you for quick reply, appreciate the help

Upvote 0
couple of standard things is =LEN(the cell) on both, =ISTEXT(the cell) will return TRUE, changing 0 at the end of VLOOKUP to 1 would return a near match (for testing)

any difference will cause a fail, hence looking for a space. I know you said sheet 2 has been checked, what about sheet 1

Upvote 0
couple of standard things is =LEN(the cell) on both, =ISTEXT(the cell) will return TRUE, changing 0 at the end of VLOOKUP to 1 would return a near match (for testing)

any difference will cause a fail, hence looking for a space. I know you said sheet 2 has been checked, what about sheet 1
Thanks again for help mole999. The len = 5 and the ISTEXT = true. When I change the 0 to 1 it return a ID LTHJ. It should return LY3M.
Its like it doesn't recognise the ID LY3M. i can search for LY3M in sheet 1 and it locates it. If I search for LY3M7 it cant find it. (I confirmed LY3M7 is present.

Upvote 0
Thanks again for help mole999. The len = 5 and the ISTEXT = true. When I change the 0 to 1 it return a ID LTHJ. It should return LY3M.
Its like it doesn't recognise the ID LY3M. i can search for LY3M in sheet 1 and it locates it. If I search for LY3M7 it cant find it. (I confirmed LY3M7 is present.
I think it cant find in search because the cell that contains the ID has a formula. Would this be the case?

Upvote 0
What cell is the LY3M7 in that cannot be found?

Upvote 0
In that case in an unused cell put
=A6="LY3M7"
What does it return?
If false, enter this in another unused cell & drag to the right
+Fluff.xlsm
ABCDEFGH
6LY3M77689517755#VALUE!#VALUE!
Data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B6:H6B6=CODE(MID($A6,COLUMN(A1),1))

Upvote 0
The reason I think formula is fine is the fact the file vlookups about 5000 rows and 99% of it works no problem. Its like the ID is causing an issue but that is also pulled the same way as all the others

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keycalinc

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back