BUG re formula auditing with Tables (ListObjects): known to MS since 2007

jasmith4

I'm reporting a bug re formula auditing with Tables (ListObjects). Just follow these steps in Excel >=2007:

1.Start from a blank workbook with at least two tabs.
2.Create a table (ListObject) with dummy data on one tab.
3.Create on another tab a formula that refers to the table data, e.g., "=SUM(Table1[#Data])".
4.Select the formula cell and try to use Trace Precedents: nothing!
5.Switch tabs, select data in the table, and try to use Trace Dependents: nothing!
6.Convert the table to a normal range, and now the tracing works.

I've submitted this as SR number 116041113946418 to casemail@microsoft.com, and I'm told it's a known issue since 2007 with no plans to fix it without some kind of business justification. They write:

The product developers have provided some feedback that they are not sure they are seeing the level of critical impact required to approve a design change request for the current version of Excel (specifically because this feature has never been in place, and therefore there hasn’t been a loss in functionality). They are looking for significance beyond that the feature would be “nice to have”. Is there significant financial impact caused by not having the feature? Is there more to add in addition to the business impact already provided, that would help the product developers understand the criticality better?​

I mean, they're kidding, right? It's a bug in an existing feature, not a design change request for a new one that's never been in place! I was just wondering if any MVP can convince them if this better than I?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
You'd probably be better off putting this on uservoice and seeing if it gets any traction (I wouldn't hold out too much hope though). Microsoft wouldn't pay any more attention to us than to you for things like this.

Upvote 0
Good news -- they're going to fix it! Definitely for 2016, maybe 2013, but probably not 2010.

Upvote 0
sounds like a line of code that terminates inappropriately and its an easy fix

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back