Building a formula that correlates to a drop-down list

mbagronomy

I sell agricultural chemicals and I am trying to build a spreadsheet that will figure "total product needed" by multiplying acres x use rate then dividing by a conversion number that is respective to each measurement that I have in my dropdown list. In my dropdown list I have pints, quarts, lbs, fl. ounces, dry ounces, etc based on what the formulation of each product is. I want the Total Units column to figure "total gallons" needed if the product is a liquid formulation, and "total pounds" needed if the product is a dry formulation. How would I build a formula for the Total Units column to recognize which measurement is selected in my dropdown list and use the correct conversion divisor according to the measurement selected?

Conversions used would be:

1 gallon = 8 pints, 4 quarts, 128 fl. ozs
1 pound = 16 dry ozs

For Example:

The product Keystone is a liquid formulation.

[(335 acres * 2 quarts) / 4 quarts per gallon) =167.5 gallons

<table style="border-collapse: collapse;" width="481" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="64"><col style="width: 48pt;" width="64" span="7"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt; width: 48pt;" width="64" height="20">Product</td> <td class="xl65" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">Acres</td> <td valign="top">
</td><td class="xl65" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">Use Rate</td> <td valign="top">
</td><td class="xl65" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">Measurement</td> <td valign="top">
</td><td class="xl65" style="width: 48pt;" width="64"> Total Units</td> <td class="xl65" style="width: 48pt;" width="64">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">
</td> <td class="xl65">
</td> <td valign="top">
</td><td class="xl65">
</td> <td valign="top">
</td><td class="xl65">
</td> <td valign="top">
</td><td class="xl65">
</td> <td class="xl65">
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="height: 15pt;" height="20">Keystone </td> <td class="xl65">335</td> <td valign="top">
</td><td class="xl65">2</td> <td valign="top">
</td><td class="xl65">Quarts</td> <td valign="top">
</td><td class="xl65">167.5</td> <td class="xl67">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
moz-screenshot.png

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Welcome to the board.

Have a look at the CONVERT function in Excel Help (and note that CONVERT requires the analysis toolpak add-in).

Then, so long as your dropdown lists have the same abbreviations that the CONVERT function is expecting, you can just use =A1*CONVERT(B1,C1,"gal")

where A1 has your acres, B1 has the number of quarts/pints/whatever, and C1 has the type (quart/pint/whatever) that corresponds to B1.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back