Bulk file renaming

trevolly

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good afternoon all.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an app / program to help with multiple file renaming. I currently have a excel workbook for work and the master is called “Finalcopy.xlsm”. Each month I have to make a version of this for each day and night of the month - with the files needing to be renamed to the date and then day / night, for example “09-10-21 Day” or "09-10-21 Night". This involves making multiple copies of the master version and then renaming each file.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a program that could be used to do this - but has to be able to rename the files in the date sequence , 01-10-21 Day, 02-10-21 Day etc.....

Thanks all
T

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
I can't say I know of any app, but it were me, I would set up a worksheet and use Excel formulas to create the new file names based on the month I enter, and lines for a windows batch file to do the bulk copying. Then I would either paste the copy lines into a batch file, or else use VBA to write a macro to generate the needed batch file.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2B2=DAY(EOMONTH(B1,0))
B7,B13,B11,B9B7=RIGHT("00" & MONTH($B$1),2)&"-" & RIGHT("00" & $A7,2) & "-" &RIGHT(YEAR($B$1),2) & " Day.xlsm"
C7:C14C7="Copy " &"""" & $B$3 & $B$4 & """" & " " & """" & $B$5 & B7 & """"
B8,B14,B12,B10B8=RIGHT("00" & MONTH($B$1),2)&"-" & RIGHT("00" & $A8,2) & "-" &RIGHT(YEAR($B$1),2) & " Night.xlsm"

Upvote 0
Hey @rlv01 Thanks very much for the reply. I didn’t realise that you could use excel in that way. So using the info above I could rename the files with excel? Is it as simple as creating a sheet with that data in it? Do I then just run the sheet? Sorry but I’m quite inexperienced with excel. Thank you for replying.

Upvote 0
I looked at Bulk Rename Utility - loads of options! Can it change file names for each file? I mean when bulk naming it could change the names in to 01-10-21, 02-10-21, 03-10-21 etc?

Upvote 0
Sounds good. Thanks I’ll have a play with the “hundreds“ of options!

Upvote 0
Hey @rlv01 Thanks very much for the reply. I didn’t realise that you could use excel in that way. So using the info above I could rename the files with excel? Is it as simple as creating a sheet with that data in it? Do I then just run the sheet? Sorry but I’m quite inexperienced with excel. Thank you for replying.

Yes, it does require some knowledge of Excel, so you might be better off with a utility like the one @Fluff suggested. Though it seems like the Bulk Rename Utility only solves half of the problem. You still need to copy/create the (max) 31 new files.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back