Bulk Rename hundreds of files

Mashtonsmith1

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I'm not sure this is doable within Excel so sorry if this is the wrong forum...

I have several hundred files which all need to be renamed.

I have the existing names and I have what they should all be named to on a list.

Is there any way I can do this in bulk as opposed to manually renaming each file?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Sure, very easy to do in Excel (and with VBA), as you can perhaps see from the links at the bottom of this page. How did you want to rename them?

Upvote 0
Yes I've looked through the other posts but cant see what I need (I dont think so anyway)

All files will have a different name.

e.g. file 1 of 400 might currently be called "extract 2232.pdf" - where I want to rename this as "client name - Dec 2022.pdf"

Ideally it'd be managed by an original name vs new name list and for it to save down to a new location so I dont overwrite the current file.

Upvote 0
Will you find something on here that miraculously happens to do exactly what niche thing you want done? Most likely not, at which point the task is usually to try and work out how to solve each element of the problem.

But anyway, I don't know how to tell VBA to change filename from ?? to ¿¿, so how about this-original filenames in Column A, New folder path in column B and new filename in column C, and you fill it all in? If so, that should be easy to do...

Upvote 0
Ok, give me half an hour? I need to just jump on a call, but I can do this after that.

Upvote 0
Name statement is probably the easiest method of renaming files while moving them to another folder.

Upvote 0
Agreed. :)

@Mashtonsmith1 - is there anything else you can tell me about how you plan on renaming the files? Like, is there anything else I can add to this to make it easier for you, because it's pretty basic thus far.

Upvote 0
Hello - the only other potential consideration - which is much more complex - is to pick up from each individual pdf - two key merge fields called "EmployerA" and "ANumber" and use those as the name

Upvote 0
Hello - the only other potential consideration - which is much more complex - is to pick up from each individual pdf - two key merge fields called "EmployerA" and "ANumber" and use those as the name
So there is solution 1 which was the simple case - and solution 2 which I'm not certain I need just yet

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back