Bulk upload multiple Excel files as tables at once

Stoolen

I'm new to Access so any help would be appreciated. I have multiple Excel spreadsheets (seperate files)that I want to upload into Access as separate tables. Is there a way I can bulk upload them all at once? If not, if I'm able to make them all 1 file but seperate tabs, is it possible to upload the file into access and easily make each tab its own table?

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
First, xl sheets pretty much NEVER make for good database tables. Sheets are wide (columnar) while tables should be tall (rows/records) where related data is held in other tables.

You can use transferspreadsheet function to copy sheets into Access as tables, but only 1 at a time. To do a bulk copy would require code that loops thru wb sheets. Or you can link sheets as tables (ribbon>external data>new data source...

Either way, it is highly likely that you'd need to move data into properly related tables from the transfers/linked sheets. If you have not learned db normalization, I strongly suggest you do so, otherwise you will continually encounter roadblocks to getting at data.

Upvote 0
First, xl sheets pretty much NEVER make for good database tables. Sheets are wide (columnar) while tables should be tall (rows/records) where related data is held in other tables.

You can use transferspreadsheet function to copy sheets into Access as tables, but only 1 at a time. To do a bulk copy would require code that loops thru wb sheets. Or you can link sheets as tables (ribbon>external data>new data source...

Either way, it is highly likely that you'd need to move data into properly related tables from the transfers/linked sheets. If you have not learned db normalization, I strongly suggest you do so, otherwise you will continually encounter roadblocks to getting at data.
Thank you. would it be better if i just created the tables in Access then copy and paste the data from Excel into the Access tables instead of uploading the excels as tables?

Upvote 0
I'll let you decide on creating them in Access (except that copying/pasting into Access tables is pretty much a non-starter).
Do yourself a big favour if you have not already learned this:

Normalization Parts I, II, III, IV, and V
and/or

Entity-Relationship Diagramming: Part I, II, III and IV

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back