Calculate cell value based on another cells format

mordrid

Board Regular
Hi, thanks for the help earlier the response worked, however, I misunderstood the ask of me and am struggling with the following issue

In cell A1 I have the value of the dollar exchange rate I want to use
In cell A2 I have the value of Euro exchange rate I want to use

In Col C I have a mix of Euro and Dollar values (cells are formatted as Accountancy dollar or Euro accordingly)

In Col D I would like to auto calculate the Pound value of the corresponding value in C but to do that I need to multiply the C value by the right exchange rate.

So something along the lines IF C2 is formatted as dollars then D2 would = C2*A1 but if C2 is formatted in Euros then D2 would = C2*A2

Any help or pointers gratefully accepted

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Thanks, however, I am not sure how to set this UDF up
To install the UDF:
1. With your workbook active press Alt and F11 keys. This will open the VBE window.
2. In the project tree on the left of the VBE window, find your project and click on it.
3. On the VBE menu: Insert>Module
4. Copy the UDF from your browser window and paste it into the white space in the VBE window.
5. Close the VBE window and Save the workbook. If you are using Excel 2007 or a later version do a SaveAs and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file extension).
6. Use the UDF as you would any native Excel function.
7. Make sure you have enabled macros whenever you open the file or the code will not run.

Upvote 0
To install the UDF:
1. With your workbook active press Alt and F11 keys. This will open the VBE window.
2. In the project tree on the left of the VBE window, find your project and click on it.
3. On the VBE menu: Insert>Module
4. Copy the UDF from your browser window and paste it into the white space in the VBE window.
5. Close the VBE window and Save the workbook. If you are using Excel 2007 or a later version do a SaveAs and save it as a macro-enabled workbook (.xlsm file extension).
6. Use the UDF as you would any native Excel function.
7. Make sure you have enabled macros whenever you open the file or the code will not run.
Thank you it appears to work so thats great

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back