Calculate Cumulative interest paid at Month # 15 for Mortgage amortized for 25 years

canadian86

Board Regular
Dear all,

Is there a way to:

Calculate Cumulative interest paid at Month # 15 ("n") for Mortgage amortized for 25 years

using ONE line.

I want a single formula whereby I can just change "n" and it gives me the cumulative interest up to that point. All other mortgage elements (interest rate, # of payments per year, amortization duration) etc stay the same.

I am actually trying to do this on Google sheets instead of Excel, but if you know how to do it on either, that's fine.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Use the following to approximate cumulative interest between any period of months:

<bdo dir="ltr">=-CUMIPMT(B3/12,B2,B1,B4,B5,0)

where B3 is the annual rate, B2 is the total term of the loan in months (300 = 25*12), B1 is the total loan (e.g. 100000), B4 is the starting month# (e.g. 1), and B5 is the ending month# (e.g. 15). Of course, you can enter the values directly into the formula instead of using cell references.

I confirmed that that works with Google sheets.

Note: B3/12 is presumed to derive the monthly rate. For EU loans, we might use (1+B3)^(1/12)-1. For Canadian loans, we might use (1+B3/2)^(1/6)-1. You might double-check with your lender; or ask the lender to tell you the monthly rate.

I say the formula approximates the cumulative interest because: (a) CUMIPMT calculates and uses an "exact" payment internally, whereas the actual payment is rounded to the cent, and the lender might choose to round (up?) to less precision, e.g. to the dollar; and (b) the lender might choose to round actual interest paid per month to the cent, or to some greater precision (more decimal places) that is different from the "exact" precision that CUMIPMT calculates and uses internally.
</bdo>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back