Calculate Cumulative Return from Periodic Returns not in Percentage Format

KoolAid

I have a column of numbers representing periodic returns (but expressed without the %):

I want to calculate a cumulative return of the "% changes" above (the answer is 1.1877% in this simplified case), but with some restrictions that make this hard for me to figure out:

1. I'd rather not add more intermediate calculation columns to the data, to keep the spreadsheet as simple/clean as possible. This rules out the normal solution of converting them to a %, creating a new column where you add 1 to that %, and then using =Product(Range)+1 on the new column.
  2. I'd rather not use array formulas, if possible, to make this spreadsheet more usable by non-experts
  3. The column of numbers above is auto-generated by a program I can't easily change, so I'd rather not have to manually modify the column of numbers above by diving by 100, etc. since any changes I make will be overwritten each time the program runs.
  4. I'd prefer not to use a complex/repetitive formula like =((1+A1)*(1+A2)*(1+A3)....)-1 since there might be 100+ returns/cells to reference.

Is there any reasonable way to do what I want? Sorry for all of the restrictions!

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Welcome to the forum.

Short answer: Nope!

You've eliminated about every option. Except VBA, and based on your desire to keep things simple, I'd guess you don't want that either. Here are a couple options:

AB
3-0.331.872717

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet7

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B3=FVSCHEDULE(1,A1:A3)

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Array Formulas
CellFormula
B1{=(PRODUCT(1+A1:A3/100)-1)*100}
B2{=(FVSCHEDULE(1,A1:A3/100)-1)*100}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

B1 is a classic array formula, and works fine.

B2 uses the built-in FVSCHEDULE function, which does pretty much what you want, but it requires the interest rates to be in the usual percentage format. In order to get that, I divided the range by 100, which required making it an array formula. Or you could use a helper column, which you also didn't want to do.

Just out of curiosity, I tried FVSCHEDULE without dividing by 100, and I got the answer in B3. It "looks" pretty close to the value in B1. Divide by 100 and add 1, and you have a non-array formula. But the logic is extremely suspect, and you can't rely on it. I'd have to do a bit of mathematical analysis to see if there's a way to make it work without arrays. If I figure it out, I'll let you know.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help, Eric. I decided to go ahead and add the extra intermediate calculation columns where I converted the numbers to a %, added 1, and used the standard =Product() formula, similar to your suggestion. It is accurate and works well enough!

I would have also been OK with a VBA function since it would make the spreadsheet formula more readable, but I imagine it would be slower on large files, so I'm OK with the current compromise. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back