Calculate distance between UK postcodes with VBA in Excel

GVK

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I would like to calculate the driving distance in miles or kms for a list of UK postcodes in Excel, I assume through the use of VBA. Based on general research it seems this is something that is indeed possible but I cannot seem to find a VBA code that works. Does anyone have any tip/s on how to do this please? Thank you.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
You could use the Microsoft Bing Maps API (you must create an API key and specify it in the request). Example code here:

For a matrix of postcode origins and destinations the Google Maps Distance Matrix API is more efficient because you can specify up to 25 origins and 25 destinations in one request and it returns the results for every origin and destination pair in a single response. You must register your 'project' in the Google Cloud Platform Console and note that there is a billing plan (cost) for using the API, though the first $200 USD per month is free.

This example macro calls the Distance Matrix API with 4 different postcodes - 2 origin postcodes and 2 destination postcodes. The API's response contains the results for each pair: 4 distances in km and durations in hours and minutes, which are output to the VBA Immediate window.

VBA Code:
Public Sub Google_Distance_Matrix_API()

Const APIkey = "Your_Google_API_key"

Dim origins As String
    Dim destinations As String
    Dim URL As String

Dim DOMdoc As Object 'DOMDocument60
    Set DOMdoc = CreateObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument") 'New DOMDocument60

Dim StatusNode As Object 'IXMLDOMNode
    Dim originAddressNodes As Object 'IXMLDOMNodeList
    Dim destinationAddressNodes As Object 'IXMLDOMNodeList
    Dim rowNodes As Object 'IXMLDOMNodeList
    Dim elementNodes As Object 'IXMLDOMNodeList
    Dim element As Object 'IXMLDOMNode
    Dim r As Long, c As Long

origins = Join(Array("postcode1", "postcode2"), "|")  'SPECIFY ACTUAL POSTCODES
    destinations = Join(Array("postcode3", "postcode4"), "|")  'SPECIFY ACTUAL POSTCODES

URL = "https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/distancematrix/xml?" & _
                "origins=" & Application.WorksheetFunction.EncodeURL(origins) & _
                "&destinations=" & Application.WorksheetFunction.EncodeURL(destinations) & _
                "&mode=driving&key=" & APIkey

With DOMdoc
        .async = False
        .Load URL      
        Set StatusNode = .SelectSingleNode("/DistanceMatrixResponse/status")
        Set originAddressNodes = .selectNodes("/DistanceMatrixResponse/origin_address")
        Set destinationAddressNodes = .selectNodes("/DistanceMatrixResponse/destination_address")
        Set rowNodes = .selectNodes("/DistanceMatrixResponse/row")
     End With

If StatusNode.Text = "OK" Then
        For r = 0 To rowNodes.Length - 1
            Set elementNodes = rowNodes(r).selectNodes("element")
            For c = 0 To elementNodes.Length - 1
                Set element = elementNodes(c)
                If element.SelectSingleNode("status").nodeTypedValue = "OK" Then
                    If originAddressNodes(r).Text <> destinationAddressNodes(c).Text Then
                        Debug.Print originAddressNodes(r).Text & " to " & destinationAddressNodes(c).Text
                        Debug.Print element.SelectSingleNode("distance/text").Text & ", " & _
                                    element.SelectSingleNode("duration/text").Text
                    End If
                End If
            Next
        Next
    Else
        Debug.Print StatusNode.Text
    End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you for this John!

I created a Bing APIkey and executed the code but I get "Request_Denied" in the Immediate window. Unsure why?

Do I need to replace the above Google-based URL with the equivalent for Microsoft/BING?

Also is there a way to refence a range of cells in Excel for all postcodes instead of manually inputting these 1-by-1 in the array formula above?

Upvote 0
My macro above is specific to the Google Maps Distance Matrix API, which requires a Google API key, and wouldn't work with Bing.

The VBA code for Bing is in @MARK858's post which I posted a direct link to. His code is 2 UDF's (GetDistance and GetTimeinMins) which can be called as worksheet functions, for example =GetDistance("T2P 4R5", "M9N 1K9"), or from a macro.

My macro in post #14 of that thread shows how to reference a range of cells for all the postcodes and call the GetDistance function, which I repeat below. With the start postcodes in column A and the end postcodes in column B, both starting at row 2, this loops through the cells and puts the calculated distance in miles in column C:
VBA Code:
Public Sub Calculate_Distances()

Dim cell As Range

With ActiveSheet
        For Each cell In .Range("A2", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
            cell.Offset(, 2).Value = GetDistance(cell.Value, cell.Offset(, 1).Value) * 1.60934
        Next
    End With

End Sub
Put Mark's code and my Calculate_Distances macro in a standard module and run Calculate_Distances.

NOTE - the two t = "http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/V1/Routes/Driving ....." lines in Mark's code have been corrupted with HTML markup after a forum software update. Both lines should be:
VBA Code:
    t = "http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/V1/Routes/Driving?o=xml&wp.0=" & sPCode & "&wp.1=" & ePcode & "&avoid=minimizeTolls&du=mi&key=YOUR_MS_KEY"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
This is exactly what I was looking for! Many thanks for helping out John, much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocketslinger

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back