calculate durations and skip blank cells

shahrinac

Hi,

I need to calculate durations of certain events and have Excel skip blank cells. I have timestamps in one column, col A (with every row filled in) and in the next column, col B, I have certain events associated with the timestamps. However, the problem is that I don't have every row filled in in the events column. I can't simply sort these data and remove blank rows in the events column because I have other data in the next columns (columns C onwards) that are associated with the timestamps that I need to leave in the Excel sheet. For example, the data look something like this

Time Event
0:17 event A
0:24
1:19
1:31 event B
2:14
3:36 event C

I want to be able to calculate the duration of time for each of the events - how long did event A last, how long did event B last? So I need to subtract the time 1:31 from 0:17 to calculate duration of event A, and so on. But I need to tell Excel that it needs to skip all the blank cells in column B and whenever it finds a cell filled in, it should subtract the time associated with that (in the column to the left of that cell) and subtract that from the time in the original cell. Is there any way to use a collection of formulas to do this in Excel?

Many thanks in advance for any help provided!

SC

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
welcome, are u looking for this

<b>Array Formulas</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" width="100%" rules="all" style="border: 1px solid;text-align:center;background-color: #FFFFFF;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #BBB"><thead><tr style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120"><th width="10px">Cell</th><th style="text-align:left;padding-left:5px;">Formula</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120">C2</th><td style="text-align:left">{=IF(<font color="Blue">B2="","",MOD(<font color="Red">INDEX(<font color="Green">A3:A$7,MATCH(<font color="Purple">TRUE,B3:B$7<>"",0</font>)</font>)-A2,1</font>)</font>)}</td></tr></tbody></table><b>Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.</b> If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.</td></tr></table><br />

Excel 2013
ABC
1TimeEvent
200:17event A01:14
300:24
401:19
501:31event B02:05
602:14
703:36event C
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back