Calculate max of normal dist given std dev?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
What is the formula for calculating the maximum value of normal distribution given the std dev?

The tables below generate several normal distributions with different standard deviations. Each generates a different maximum.

The bigger the std dev, the smaller the maximum. This leads me to wonder if the maximum is caluclated so that the total area under the curve equals 1.

Thanks

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D4:G4D4=MAX(D$5:D$25)
D5:G25D5=NORM.DIST($C5,D$2,D$3,FALSE)
C6:C25C6=C5+1

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Hi Jennifer, yes...you're correct. The area under the standard normal distribution is 1. So you can do something like this:
Excel Formula:
=NORM.DIST(0,0,2,0)
where the 1st argument is x, the 2nd is the mean, the 3rd is the std dev, and the last says to return the probability distribution rather than the cumulative distribution. By setting the first two arguments equal to each other, you're positioning "x" at the mean and you'll get the maximum of the standard normal distribution for the standard deviation specified by the 3rd argument.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Hi Jennifer, yes...you're correct. The area under the standard normal distribution is 1. So you can do something like this:
Excel Formula:
=NORM.DIST(0,0,2,0)
where the 1st argument is x, the 2nd is the mean, the 3rd is the std dev, and the last says to return the probability distribution rather than the cumulative distribution. By setting the first two arguments equal to each other, you're positioning "x" at the mean and you'll get the maximum of the standard normal distribution for the standard deviation specified by the 3rd argument.
Thanks.

I ended up using this formula, but I think it's the same thing.
1658506935651.png

Upvote 0
Yes, that is the same thing. You're using the probability density function for the normal distribution, which has an [(x-mu)/sigma] term. And if you set x and mu equal (shown in your latest post as mu-mu), the entire expression reduces to what you've shown. That is equivalent to what I described using the NORM.DIST function with the first two terms set equal to each other.

Upvote 0
I misspoke...in your expression, delete the "e", as that entire exponent goes to 0 (and e^0=1) when mu=x...so you'll have 1/(sigma*2*PI()).

Upvote 0
I misspoke...in your expression, delete the "e", as that entire exponent goes to 0 (and e^0=1) when mu=x...so you'll have 1/(sigma*2*PI()).
Duh, of course you are right. I discovered that when I put it to work and forgot to change the equation.

How about this:

1658508542639.png

Upvote 0
Kirk,

I hope you will have time to take a look at my latest thread about truncated normal distributions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back