Calculate Power Supply On/Off By User Entered Duty Cycle

SeaTigr

Hello, All!

I'm working on an Excel formula to determine whether or not power is being supplied to my device by a host device. Essentially, the Host only has so much power and has more devices wanting to draw power than it has power available. So the Host operates according to a duty cycle where it always supplies power for 60 seconds and the off period depends on the duty cycle - e.g., a 15.4% duty cycle will be 60 seconds on and 329 seconds off.

My power budget computes the power draw of my device in 15 second increments because I need to calculate my power needs over 72 hours. Excel can handle 259,200 rows, but to save time let's just say that I really don't want to end up with a 250 MB Excel file (estimated size based on current size) that resides on a network drive and must be operated over a VPN. So I want to leave it at 15 second increments.

A) Power supplied to the device is computed in watts as Charger Efficiency (B1) * Bus Voltage (B2) * Bus Amperage (C2).
B) Power is calculated in 15 second increments. This means I need to round the "OFF" time up to the nearest 15 seconds. So in the above example I need the time block of 6.25 (6m 15s to 6m 30s) to compute as 0 watts of power.
C) The "ON" time is always 60 seconds.
D) For purposes of modeling, times 0, 0.25, 0.5, and 0.75 will always be "ON", so I need to start my formula at time t=1

When I was just doing this in whole-minute increments (e.g., 1 minute ON, 7 minutes OFF) it was fine. But when I was told our Host can have fractional minute duty cycles based on a 60 second "ON" time and therefore need to determine if power will be on during a fractional minute (e.g., 5.25 and not just 5) and then round the OFF time to the nearest 0.25 minute...I've gone round and round in circles. Any help is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• Charging Power.jpg
    Charging Power.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 23

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back