Calculate win/loss percentage based on multiple criteria?

parvezs27

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all!

I have a dataset for Australian Football, it contains data for the matches played between teams in a particular league in 2021. So rows 2 and 3 for example contain the data and statistics for the match played between Wangaratta Magpies and Albury in Round 1 of the league.

I want to calculate the percentage of times teams win or lose a match if they win a statistic e.g. "Total Disposals".

For example, if we just look at the match in rows 2 and 3 between Wangaratta Magpies and Albury, we can see in column D "Total Disposals" that Albury had more Total Disposals (321) than Wangaratta Magpies (318), so they won that statistic as denoted by a "W" in column E. However, they lost the match as denoted by "L" in column C. Basically I just want see how many times this happens where a team wins the statistic "Total Disposals" and either win or lose the match and get this into a percentage. So a final conclusion may be "Teams in this league win 75% of their matches if they have more total disposals than the other team".

I hope this is clear, happy to clear up any confusion. I have attached a small section of the data as a mini sheet.

Thanks!

Ovens and Murray League Macro Enabled.xlsm
ABCDEFGHI
1RoundTeamWin/LoseTotal DisposalsTotal Disposals W/LTotal Disposals DifferentialContested DisposalsContested Disposals W/LContested Disposals Differential
21Wangaratta MagpiesW318L-353L-28
31AlburyL321W381W28
41LavingtonL275L-8091W8
51Corowa-RutherglenW355W8083L-8
61MyrtlefordW270L-1685W3
71Wangaratta RoversL286W1682L-3
82AlburyW395W10122W18
92WodongaL385L-10104L-18
102Wangaratta MagpiesW347W54138W45
112Wangaratta RoversL293L-5493L-45
Match Data
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2,E4,E6,E8,E10,H2,H4,H6,H8,H10E2=IF(D2>D3,"W",IF(D2=D3,"D","L"))
F2,F4,F6,F8,F10,I2,I4,I6,I8,I10F2=D2-D3
E3,E5,E7,E9,E11,H3,H5,H7,H9,H11E3=IF(D3>D2,"W",IF(D3=D2,"D","L"))
F3,F5,F7,F9,F11,I3,I5,I7,I9,I11F3=D3-D2

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
I wonder why the data is laid out like this, where one row is a team and the next is its opponent. Did you put it in this form? It surely makes manipulating the data a painful exercise.

Usually the data for sports league schedules has columns for Visitor, Host, Visitor Score, Host Score, Winner, Visitor Contested Disposals, etc.. See here: this is a picture of my data-set for the NHL. It goes off to the right with dozens of statistics, some from the data source and some calculated. From an Excel Table like this, any and all calculations can be done for the teams, in aggregate or by filtering to make reports like standings and other performance data.

1675026913954.png

Upvote 0
I wonder why the data is laid out like this, where one row is a team and the next is its opponent. Did you put it in this form? It surely makes manipulating the data a painful exercise.

Usually the data for sports league schedules has columns for Visitor, Host, Visitor Score, Host Score, Winner, Visitor Contested Disposals, etc.. See here: this is a picture of my data-set for the NHL. It goes off to the right with dozens of statistics, some from the data source and some calculated. From an Excel Table like this, any and all calculations can be done for the teams, in aggregate or by filtering to make reports like standings and other performance data.

View attachment 84096
Thank you for sharing this. I am quite new to sports data so I didn't know the ideal way to structure it. Do you have any resources which could help out with sports analytics e.g. how to structure the data or how to do certain calculations? Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back