Calculated Columns in Power Query for Staggered Product Launches

urazack

Hi,

I'm creating a financial model where a "Product" will be launched several times over the coming years. The Product will have a predictable financial profile but I'm trying to build in flexibility to run scenarios where we specify how many of these products are launched in a given year. I'm trying to calculate the total amount for a given account e.g. Revenues in a year, taking into account the revenue profiles of all the products launched in the previous year.

E.g. If a Product produces Revenues of 100, 200, and 400 in Years 1-3 respectively, and I launch 1 Product in each of the first 3 years, then the Revenues in Year 3 should be 600 (400 from the product launched in Year 1, 200 from the product launched in Year 2, and 100 from the product launched in Year 3).

I have tabular data which includes:

1) Annual Account profiles for each product e.g. Revenues from Year 1 through Year X

2) Profile of the number of products launch in a given year i.e. Product launches in each of Years 1 through X

I've figured out a way to do this with helper rows where I transpose the Product launches row (2) and then multiply it by the account profiles (1). The problem with this is that I'm modeling over many years and this creates an unnecessary amount of these "helper rows" for each account that I model e.g. Revenues, COGS, Opex, etc.

I'm trying to figure out a way to do the above programmatically through Power Query but I'm getting tripped up by the staggered nature of this model.

Below is a link to an Excel example, which is hopefully better than my explanation. Essentially, I've got the cells with blue text in data tables and I'm trying to get the cells highlighted in yellow, without using the cells with red text.

Excel example: Staggered Product Launch Model.xlsx

I know this is a mouthful but I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Uwais

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Cross posted multiple sites.

While we do allow Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules). This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Please supply all links.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back