Calculated Fields in PivotTables...any trick/workaround to get an "average" to work as the aggregator?

TomCon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
My understanding of Calculated Fields in PivotTables is that "sum" is used to aggregate a reference to a PivotTable field, and then the formula you define for the field is applied to that sum. I have verified that this behaves as stated.

Does anybody know of a workaround to get a CalculatedField in a PivotTable to use the average? Of course you cannot manually compute that average as SUM/COUNT as you can only use SUM and can't use COUNT, either!

So, lets say Field1 as a calculated field in a PivotTable is defined as:
Field1 = income * 2
where "income" is a field in the PivotTable's data range

If what i want for the result of Field1 is: (AVERAGE of income) * 2 [not: (SUM of income) * 2] ...

anybody know of any tricks or workarounds to get it?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
If you have Power Pivot, it’s simple. If not, you can add a counter column to the data that just returns 1 for each applicable row so that you can sum that to get a count. You can then calculate your average using SUM as required by calculated fields.

Upvote 0
Thanks...that does work. Appreciate it. Always hate to "mess up the sheet" with dummy type columns, would have been nice to hide it all in a CalculatedField..but oh well, limitations do exist. As an editorial, too bad they did not just make CalcuatedFields have all the same aggregators available that PivotTables have, and allow CalculatedField language to have syntax like SUM(field), AVERAGE(field), Max(field), etc. Do appreciate the post, it will serve my purpose here!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back