Calculated Pivot Field Woes...

Goose306

Board Regular
Strange issue I'm hoping someone can help me out on:

I have a tall data set that has an amount tied to a person and a date, say like such (as a simplified version - the actual data has several thousands of lines for individual people stretching back 90 days):
<style type="text/css"> table.tableizer-table { font-size: 12px; border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; } .tableizer-table td { padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #CCC; } .tableizer-table th { background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold; }</style>
<style type="text/css"> table.tableizer-table { font-size: 12px; border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; } .tableizer-table td { padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #CCC; } .tableizer-table th { background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold; }</style>
DateNameAmount
7/10/2016Ann$1.15
7/10/2016Ann$2.20
7/10/2016Bob$11.19
7/11/2016Ann$12.22
7/11/2016Bob$8.50
7/12/2016Ann$9.22
7/12/2016Ann$51.92
7/12/2016Bob$26.51
7/12/2016Bob$1.12
7/12/2016Laura$52.18

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have that data in a Pivot Table. I want to create a calculated field to summarize the Amount column for a week. Here is the formula I am using:
<datevalue("07 17="" 2016")),amount,)[="" code]
<datevalue("07 17="" 2016")),amount,)[="" code]
<datevalue("07 17="" 2016")),amount,)
xWoar4u.png

This adds with no errors, however it will only summarize the value if that individual person only had a single entry during that week, otherwise it returns $0. As an example, in the example data set, both Ann and Bob would return $0, and Laura would return $52.18, since she only has a single entry.

This is making me pull my hair out as the logic it seems to be operating on makes no sense. Any help is appreciated!</datevalue("07></datevalue("07></datevalue("07>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
So, on further playing with it, the issue is it is comparing the Date field as a SUM of the dates - as we know, Excel stores dates as a raw number, and Excel is taking the sum of all the amounts during the specified timeframe and attempting to use that as a date (so, since it is adding two dates together, it comes across as something like 1/31/2166 in date format, for something where there is 2 amounts).

This seems poorly constructed, but I can't find a way to get around it cleanly. I can't use the group option given how my data works and how I need my end-result data to appear. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best tackle this?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back