Calculating: (2 processor(s)):x% message

BrendaW

Hi

I am using Excel 2010 and Windows 7. Whenever I try to open this particular workbook, opening the file is delayed and the message above pops up in the grey toolbar in the bottom right hand of the screen. If I click anywhere in the white workbook space, the 'processing' stops and the file opens. As soon as I try to do anything in the file (eg add a new row of data), the processing message appears again and the file temporarily freezes. Clicking somewhere in the file while the processing message is displayed usually ends the freeze so the file can be edited (but not always, and I can't figure out the difference between when this works and doesn't work).

The file is small (374kb) and simple - I am not a very sophisticated Excel user! There are 10 active sheets and 9 have calculations of some sort - generally SUMIFS and COUNTIFS formulas - which are based on data entered into 1 sheet. The data entry sheet has 1638 rows x 10 columns.

The workbook is used daily and the processing message is relatively new. It is most noticeable / prolonged when a new date is entered in the date column (Column A) of the data entry sheet. It used to be possbile to navigate to Column B by simply using the right arrow on the keyboard, but since the message started appearing, we now have to click to move (or wait for the processing to stop, which is very slow).

The file is stored in a Dropbox folder and accessed by 2 users regularly (not sure if this is at all relevant). The second user has Excel 2007 and Windows Xp.

Any advice as to how I eliminate the processing message as it is really affecting the performance and usability of the file?

Thanks very much

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
I suspect the problem may be the different versions. When you open it in 2010 after it was saved in 2007, a full recalculation will occur. From what you describe, that should not take too long unless your formulas are quite inefficient.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. If the problem were the different versions, wouldn't it have been evident right from the beginning when the file was initially created?

Are there any solutions to the different version problem, other than upgrading the second machine to Excel 2010 which is not possible right now?

Also thought I'd mention that the initial time to recalculate when the file is opened in 2010 after it's been saved in 2007 isn't very long. There is still, however, a continuous delay when any attempts are made to edit the file.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Yes, I would have expected it to be evident form the start, assuming the amount of data and formulas was the same.
Does the problem only appear with 2010? Does it occur if you open Excel in Safe Mode (hold down Ctrl key while starting Excel normally)

Upvote 0
The amount of data (number of rows in data entry sheet) has grown over time, but not significantly. There are about 130 - 150 entries new each month.

The problem occurs in both versions of Excel, 2010 and 2007.

It also occurs even when you start Excel in safe mode.

Upvote 0
Then I would have to guess that something has been added to the workbook (possibly a volatile formula, or code) that is causing a full recalculation whenever you change anything.

Upvote 0
No really easy way (unless you want to buy the FastExcel addin or a similar one). You'd have to search for volatile formulas like now, today, offset, indirect and so on.

Upvote 0
Ok thanks. There definitely aren't any of those formulas so there must be something else that's causing problems. Until I can find what it is, I've switched to manual calculations which will help with daily usage, although saving is still rather slow.

Thanks very much for your time.

Upvote 0
OK. If you can post the file somewhere, or email it, I can take a quick look to see if there's anything obvious, if you like?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kj9

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back