Calculating a value using multiple criteria as a result of multiple drop down selections

Tjbirch

Im looking to be able to select multiple input options from drop down boxes then see the changes these selected values have on other values selected by additional drop downs if that makes any sense.

To reference a previous post on this issue:

I am having difficulty even putting into words what I need hence creating an account. Im normally able to search an issue Im having but this one is causing me some trouble.

Basically, I have two tabs where tab A is my data set and B is my calculations/presentation page.

I have two drop down selection boxes on tab B and based on those selections I need to return a value. While I am able to count the first value easily enough as it is in a static column, I need to compare that value to a corresponding value in the column determined by the second drop down on tab b, then return a value for what matches.

So If I select painter with drop down one, I determine there are 20 painters out of 5 different job titles in Column A. Then (using drop down 2) I select Flat Paint out of 5 different paint types. That brings me to a column where that paint has been given 5 different grades of ease of use (Easy, Medium, Hard, etc.). I then need to determine how many painters gave flat paint an ease of use rating of "Easy".

Basically Something like : =COUNTIFS(Sheet1!B3:B207,B5,(INDEX(Sheet1!I2:BD207,0,MATCH(B18,Sheet1!I2:BD2,0)),"I'm familiar with this type, it is very easy to use.")

Where B5 is the 1st drop down (Painter) and B18 is the second drop down "Flat" and it returns me a value of say 5 painters out of 25 who feel Flat paint is easy to use.

I know this is wordy, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I now need to be able to add/compare additional values. So instead of just selecting "Painter" and "Flat" and getting a value of say 5 painters out of 25 who feel Flat paint is easy to use; I now need to be able to select "Painter" and "Contractor" and see how that affects just "Flat" and/or "Gloss" where "gloss" is selected from another drop down.

This is the formula that worked for the initial issue:
=COUNTIFS(Sheet1!B3:B207,BC13,INDEX(Sheet1!BE3:CZ207,0,MATCH(BC43,Sheet1!BE2:CZ2,0)),"Superior")

I just now need to add multiple additional variables.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back