"Calculating cells....% Complete"

Budge

Board Regular
My worksheet originally had formulas in it that referred to named ranges.I have deleted all formulas in my worksheet and all named ranges.There are no circular references etc.I have closed it and saved it.
Why is it that my worksheet still displays this message "calculating cells" when there is nothing to calculate.This is very frustrating as my spreadsheet is painfully slow.Even inserting a column can take 2 minutes.Interestingly,if i hit escape the problem is temporarily fixed but the message is still displayed.
I have gone into options and turned the calculation on and off,with no solution here.
Also just a curious point.If i save a blank excel file it takes up 14kb of memory.Seems a lot with no data.Does it have anything to do with DLL's??
Look forward to your response
Sincerely
Budge

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
You could try using something like PUP2000 - just to check that they are no remaining links within the workbook - it may not be calculating the spreadsheet you're working in, but something else.

(have a look in "Edit - Links" - you never know).

Else, I am stumped too.

Upvote 0
Budge,

The source for this behaviour can depend on several causes.

First of all, a filesize of 14 - 16 kb for a "blank" workbook is normal.

Have You recently installed new softwares / upgrades?

In general I would recommend You to first
delete all files in the temp-directory.

Make also a search for *.emf-files via the Explorer and if found delete them all.

The workbook itself might be slightly damaged and therefore need to be repaired, i e rebuild.

Which version of XL are You running?

Kind regards,
Dennis

Upvote 0
see also this quote from the MSKB article Q243495:

<quote>

Microsoft Excel calculates during different events like column auto-resizing, when entering anything in any cell, and so forth. However, Excel can only track 65,536 dependencies to unique references for automatic calculation.

After the workbook has passed this limit, Excel no longer attempts to recalculate only changed cells. Instead, it recalculates all cells after each change. This behaviour is by design of Microsoft Excel.

Microsoft Excel will correctly calculate all formulas. However, the "Calculate" message in the status bar indicates that Microsoft Excel can no longer track the formula dependencies and is calculating every formula in the workbook after each change. If you are unsure when the last calculation event took place and you want to be sure your formulas are up to date, simply start a calculation manually. To do this, press CTRL+ALT+F9 and wait until "Calculating Cells: n%" disappears and "Calculate" returns to the status bar.

</quote>

May or may not be of any use!

Upvote 0
I will test it again in the morning.Got managers breathing heavily down my neck at the moment.I will email tomorrow.
Thanks guys
Sincerely,
Budge

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back