Calculating Date in Decimal Format

IndigoSim

Hi

What is a formula that subtracts two times and gives me the result in decimal format? Eg: Column A has time in a two decimal format ie 12pm is entered as 12.00, Column B has time the same format ie 4.30pm is entered as 4.30 and column C is column A minus Column B ie 12.00 - 4.30 = 4.5hrs. These columns represent a start time and a finish time and I want to calculate the amount of time spent in a decimal format ie: 1.2 hours etc so I can add up time spent on different projects.

Thanks alot

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Here's a start. To convert one time in your format of "12.30" representing "12:30" to a decimal time format (i.e. 12.5):

=ROUNDDOWN(A1,0)+((A1-ROUNDDOWN(A1,0))/0.6)

if you have 12.30 in A1, you get 12.5 result. If you have 12.20, you get 12.333333333...

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
IndigoSim said:
Hi

What is a formula that subtracts two times and gives me the result in decimal format? Eg: Column A has time in a two decimal format ie 12pm is entered as 12.00, Column B has time the same format ie 4.30pm is entered as 4.30 and column C is column A minus Column B ie 12.00 - 4.30 = 4.5hrs. These columns represent a start time and a finish time and I want to calculate the amount of time spent in a decimal format ie: 1.2 hours etc so I can add up time spent on different projects.

Thanks alot

Why not just enter time that Excel recognizes. It's just a matter of entering a colon instead of a decimal. You'll be better off in the long run. If you want an answer in decimals, multiply by 24.

Upvote 0
Good point from Brian. If you don't have control over how the data is entered you might be better off doing a Find/Replace on the existing data to replace "." with ":".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back